Zero cash outlay digger
A couple weeks ago I left my shovel behind where I was detecting, and it was gone when I went back for it.

It just happened that I was given a old trenching spade some time back, and it had a fairly low angle from the blade to the handle just like a proper detecting shovel. With my first shovel you had to really pitch the handle forward to cut a straight walled plug.

So... remove the handle, shorten it. some JB weld to take the wobble out of it, cut down the blade, sharpen it sand the rust off, and a shot of left over paint.

Now the ugly duckling is a .....Well an ugly duck. I just hope it works well.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Image(s)

The following 5 users Like FunGus's post:
  • Dogjello, dsorgnzd, JConis, oldtimerocker52, TheHunterGT
(01-03-2019, 11:59 PM)FunGus Wrote: A couple weeks ago I left my shovel behind where I was detecting, and it was gone when I went back for it.

It just happened that I was given a old trenching spade some time back, and it had a fairly low angle from the blade to the handle just like a proper detecting shovel. With my first shovel you had to really pitch the handle forward to cut a straight walled plug.

So... remove the handle, shorten it. some JB weld to take the wobble out of it, cut down the blade, sharpen it sand the rust off, and a shot of left over paint.

Now the ugly duckling is a .....Well an ugly duck. I just hope it works well.

That's a nice job of recycling.
i had 1 0f those for a while. till i miss placed it somewhere.  i been thinking about buying a new 1. i never sharpened mine but if i get a new 1 i will. i liked having the long blade so you could go really deep before your foot hit the ground standing on the shovel. btw i use a normal round pointed long handled shovel when hole size is not an issue.
bounty hunter tracker 4 bounty hunter land ranger pro
The following 1 user Likes oldtimerocker52's post:
  • FunGus
Looks like a capable digger to me man....I say good job on you for it!

So much wasted material out there....people than can make into a useful item again have my respect.
[Image: sig.jpg]
Teknetics = T2 Classic - G2+ - Patriot - Liberator 
Fisher = F75+ 
Bounty Hunter = Land Ranger Pro - Tracker 4
The following 4 users Like TheHunterGT's post:
  • Dogjello, FunGus, JConis, oldtimerocker52