Catsup everyone
CatsUP all! I pretty much hate catsup,till I saw a video on coin cleaning with...catsup! About a month ago I found a junk encrusted ring 4" deep,looked like cheap costume jewelry. Soaked that sucker in catsup for 3 days,and was I surprised! Inside the band were"420 with an arrow pointing to a winged lion/griffon? ,followed by 12k-6F. I would have included a pic,but my wife has the phone/camera with her in the hospital at the moment. Man did that coin condiment cleaner work! That's super nice Big Grin So has anyone else tried this? Am gonna try it on some copper coins today. HH all,thx 4 reading.
Bounty hunter land ranger pro/Garrett carrot
The following 5 users Like Dogjello's post:
  • DOUBLE D, FunGus, Indian head, JConis, oldtimerocker52
thanks i'm gonna try it on some clad coins. nothing to lose the bank won't take them as dug.
bounty hunter tracker 4 bounty hunter land ranger pro
The following 2 users Like oldtimerocker52's post:
  • Dogjello, DOUBLE D
(11-29-2018, 04:04 PM)oldtimerocker52 Wrote: thanks i'm gonna try it on some clad coins. nothing to lose the bank won't take them as dug.

The copper 1967 I tried today worked well,im a happy man. Copper penny
The following 1 user Likes Dogjello's post:
  • DOUBLE D
It's the vinegar in the ketchup that is doing the heavy lifting here.
Many have had good results with hot sauce and other things with vinegar in the recipe.

Lots of things you have in your kitchen works well on cleaning treasure, what works the best depends on the composition of the treasure and what you are trying to clean off.

I once got a few rolls of one cent coins from the bank to do some coin roll hunting and they turned out to be all steel war cents but they were all covered with rust because I assume they were kept in a very humid or damp area for decades.

I mixed up a solution of lemon juice and salt and just let them soak for a few minutes, after that a tiny bit of rubbing cleaned them up easily.

This is a very rare token I found years ago.
It was totally crusted over with thick clay and dirt, I almost threw it away thinking it was an old rusted knockout plug but before I did I gave it a good scrubbing and saw a few letters emerge.
I tumbled it after that and it became much better but there was still a whole lot of dark schmutz that would never come off and I didn't want to scrub it hard and destroy it.
I soaked it in olive oil for months, every so often I pulled it out and scraped off the black parts with a toothpick...ended up looking pretty nice.

Want an easy way to clean tarnished silver?
Mix some water and baking soda together in a pot and put a piece of aluminum foil in the bottom of that pot.
Get it boiling and throw the silver item in the pot so it is resting on the foil.
Turn it over a few times so all surfaces touch the foil for just a few seconds and you will see the tarnish vanish completely.
Here is a silver ring I found I did this to because no amount of scrubbing or polishing could clean all the nooks and  crannies this thing has.

Better living through science is my motto when it comes to cleaning the things I find, it sometimes makes life a whole lot easier.
"Reality continues to ruin my life."

Currently using an F70 and Mojave...and now a Nox.
The following 8 users Like digger27's post:
  • Coldnosed, Dogjello, DOUBLE D, FunGus, Indian head, Neodetectorist, oldtimerocker52, TheHunterGT
(11-29-2018, 06:18 PM)digger27 Wrote: It's the vinegar in the ketchup that is doing the heavy lifting here.
Many have had good results with hot sauce and other things with vinegar in the recipe.

Thx Digger,always learning here! Going to try lemon juice also,ty for the edit buddy
The following 2 users Like Dogjello's post:
  • DOUBLE D, oldtimerocker52
I heard olive oil but it take months.  All good info guys.  If you could mix it bottle it and label it , maybe there is a marketing niche for "diggers all purpose coin and jewelry cleaner". AND you can leave it on the table as a condiment...…..
The following 3 users Like DOUBLE D's post:
  • Dogjello, FunGus, oldtimerocker52