An 'end' to lower coil cable connection issues.

Kick back and chat about whatever floats your boat. (Forum rules still apply)
Tim Kernowek 59

HOPEFULLY A HELPFUL TIP. Ever had coil cable issues causing audio 'crackle' when your coil cable at the coil end makes contact with longer grasses ( especially if wet ), cereal stubbles or stalks, or when clipping against rocky/flinty terrain? I have, and it can be annoying, as well as concerning if you worry about the terminal coil/cable connection union becoming compromised However, there is a really sound, durable cure for such things that I have discovered some years ago now.... Here in U.K there is a mouldable ( flexible when self-set ) 'plastic' product called SUGRU. The company 'LOCTITE' also make a comparable product called, 'KINTSUGLUE' , no doubt there will be a U.S version if neither of the two products mentioned are available to the public on your side of The Big Pond. With 'Sugru' or 'Kintsglue', two foil wrapped pieces (squares), are required per coil fix. Thoroughly de-grease the coil flexi-armour, including nut, and coil cable upwards to six inches from coil; Open two foil packets; Knead the two contents thoroughly into a ball, then halve the ball and roll out two 'snakes' of the mouldable material, each length about 5mm thick. With the coil connected to the lower stem, and the cable extending up the stem in a straight-ish direction ( tied-off, as it is when swinging), and starting where the coil / cable plastic nut meets the upper surface of the coil, wind the 'snake' of mouldable material onto and around the nut. Continue winding around and continue winding the 'snake' up the cable, using both 'snakes', until you have wound it, say, four inches up the cable. Use your eye to mould the substance equally, ensuring that the mouldable substance is substantially thicker at the coil end, and tapering out as you get to where it runs out at the highest point, up the cable from the coil end. Use a 'wet finger' to form a smooth, equal tapering form. Put your detector somewhere safe, standing up=right at approximately 20-30 degrees from vertical, and leave well alone for a couple of days at least for the mouldable substance to have absolutely well enough time to set properly. This is an inexpensive means to an end, and it works wonderfully well, providing a durable, flexible, waterproof, shockproof sleeve that can always be removed without hassle in needs be ( ie: selling on). SUGRU comes in different colours , I use Red for my 75, and Green for my G2+.
ScoTTT2

pretty cool idea....I found sugru on ebay and amazon....could you get a picture of how it looks on your coils?
Tim Kernowek 59

I will ask one of my kids to sort a couple of photos Scott. It may take a day or two as I don't own a 'smart phone' myself, I really ought to, but after having dropped my old style mobile with no ill effects I haven't bothered up-grading. My kids have had to fork out for repairs to theirs so many times that it has put me off in the past. We live out in the sticks and a 'pagan' life-style isn't always conducive to the longevity of items 'less robust'.
ScoTTT2

It took my youngest brother the best part of a year to talk me into getting a cell-phone...back then you could buy the best wired-to-the-wall phone for $20...but the cell-service became so much cheaper I caved in and bought a flip phone...real cool, I could do all this stuff with it, that only months before I never thought of doing...felt like I was in star trek...I had that phone 27 days...when I was out working around the edge of this small pond with my new phone in my shirt pocket, just incase someone really needed to get a hold of me while I was out there....I heard it plop, but it was 15 or 20 minutes before I realized what had happened....my new phone was ruined....so I replaced it with the same kind....that was 2001....I still have that phone and only that phone...my wife upgrades her phone often...I think the one she just got cost $1800...that's crazy to me....send me a text and I call back to see what's up.
TheHunterGT
Site Admin

My T2 Classic had fits in wet grass. All of my others are ok...including my LTD with the same coils. Can't wrap my head around why wet grass would make a waterproof coil go bonkers - no bubbles when submerged.