My evolution with MD headphones

Come in and talk shop about diggers - shovels - and other tools of the hobby.
ScoTTT2

I hope that is the end of your problems with them....I kind of feel bad about that...the ones I have are nothing but what detector headphones should be
Tim Kernowek 59

I think that, barring an audio fail, they will be just fine now Scott. Don't feel bad man, your recommendation was sound (no pun intended), . Obviously the importers can get way more speakers per container if they come un-boxed, as seperate units. I guess this batch were handled roughly, that's all. These things ought not to happen, however, sometimes they inevitably do. The switches work fine. The white one knocks the audio off/on, so no need to turn the volume knob once set. The black knob is a bit of a puzzle as it does nothing obvious to my ears. It's for tuning in to some machines, i think??? (no instruction manual!). I've plugged them into the 75 and they work. They seem to really suit the G2+ well. Perhaps the GG's prefer the higher 19 kHz. Anyway, I've not had the chance to use them in the meadow today, so with luck I can give them a go tomorrow. I've a mind to give Regtons ( big U.K dealers, bit like Kelly Co?), a call on Monday, and ask them if they still have GG's in stock, and enquire as to whether they come boxed, with instructions. Just out of curiosity ;) ;) .
ScoTTT2

yea .. I think the black knob is a stereo/mono switch .. it does nothing on my detector either .. but I'm guessing it is for other detectors. I think my headphones came just in a bag also...it did have a simple diagram on what was what .. but no real instructions.

I've been hunting along side the main road in town and was thinking today how nice it is to be able to shut out the sound of the busy roadway, which was only feet away. There were a few of the houses I hunted in front of that had unreal EMI, even though I had the DST on, but I could listen through it and find signals.
Tim Kernowek 59

Nice one Scott, yea a stereo/mono button makes sense. Real odd that Detector Pro can't be bothered to package their headphones individually in boxes, with a brief instructional manual. Piss poor, in my opinion, in respect of the 'damaged in transit' risk causing customers undue hassle and much complaining. False economy. Anyways, 'it is what it be'. On the flip side, it's good to hear that they have good external noise muffling capabilities, so vital for hunting, especially next to close proximity traffic. With rural hunting, the main sources of emi are the occasional power cables, above and below, electric perimeter fencing (livestock), and close proximity to 'certain farm buildings'. I once, un-wittingly, turned on my G2+ when about to hunt next to a large farm complex, completely oblivious to the 'motherboard/audio/ brain' scrambling effect that turkey 'concentration camp'- battery houses can cause. I've never experienced the like, before or since; like turning on my machine stood next to a Klingon 'Bird of Prey' in full 'cloak'! :o
ScoTTT2

EMI is something else .. the T2+ couldn't be run at all in those places I experienced yesterday .. it doesn't have the DST .. that is the major reason I bought the LTd .. the first time I ever experienced it I had thought my detector was broken, it was at a park with train tracks near by .. the DST is a great advancement. .. I have since found many places where emi is to much for the T2+ .. it is mostly ground cables .. especially when they turn the lights on or something similar. .. I never thought of klingons, though I have thought a more general and all encompassing 'alien' .. food for thought.
Tim Kernowek 59

Yep emi is a terror for sure. The episode at the turkey farm was my first encounter with how abruptly savage it can be. I actually shouted to my brother words to the effect , "Shhhhit! My ####in' G2 is frying its ####in' brains out man!" As bad as that! :oops: :roll: :lol: DST is a superb thing for sure. I hunt DST 91 (off), unless forced to go DST90 (on). That way my 75 is 'open'. BTW, if you are interested in FT DST history ( initially there were problems when trialled on the early F75s, as it killed the wonderful audio modulation of the 75, and gave it 'digital properties' that caused it to 'stop short' at max detection), there are the excellent performance reviews from John,THGT 'Metal Detecting: Fisher F75 Performance Review' 5:56 time point onwards, and Keith Southern (relics 1864) 'Fisher F75 85th anniversary edition with DST'.. These two YT reviews cover vco tone modolation and DST thoroughly.John, Keith, and Todd Brown (scannerguy 1968) are my no BS 'go to guys' for reviews. The U.K review scene attracts troll bitches more often than not, and I instantly shy from such reviews that get ruined by nasty comments and brand-bigotry' remarks that become offensive. Shame.