TheHunterGT Forums

A cunning plan? Or a monetary lapse of reason?

Tim Kernowek 59

It is too late to turn back the clock; always will be, so I've called time; on my collection of best coins and choicest artefacts and my back-up long gun; they're, "Gone on", as we older Cornish say! Finds that go back to 2009, and an immaculate 22 with quality optics, spare mags, a can, and a gun-smiths written seal of condition and approval. I only need one gun, not that I hunt anymore, I was done with killing at 40 and prefer conservation. People that continue to kill after a certain age, unless for survival or control have something 'amiss' in their psyche I reckon. To kill for trophy or 'sport' never 'ran my engine'; it is wanton and cruel (imho). Anyway, I got the very best prices for 'the lot', and am now left with a seriously depleted collection, and some redundant coin cases and other lockables, and just my old popper and it's fittings! With the funds I have decided to invest in a copy of 'ABC' ( Ancient British Coins £75; the ABC 'Bible') and a all-new book of, Spinks, Coins of England 2021 ( all coins and all their respective values) and starting to purchase the best quality, that I can afford, Iron Age Celtic gold staters and Iron Age Celticsilver units. I've enough to buy 6 gold staters after my 'weigh-in', and by careful saving which I do anyway; I do not smoke or drink alcohol, plus a SIPS (Ship- Building Industries Pension Scheme) that is going to start paying out monthly from October 1st, I shall buy more coins in my time going forward. Plan is to form a collection of these coins to leave to my Grand-Children when I eventually 'Go West with the Setting Sun'. My old collection, nice as I thought it was, would never hold or increase in value; not like ancient rare Iron Age Celtic gold and silver coins will, by a long-mile. Sovereigns, unless rare ones, are simply Bullion, but staters and silver units are the better investment for me personally. An old friend that lives a mere 15 miles away is a long-time numistmatist and professional buyer and seller of rare coins and tokens...the plot thickens.....My friend is honest and trustworthy, is skilled at his profession so will 'find' for me to buy solely from him; it's the ''Who you know' that you know matters a lot of the time with business. ...That's it.... BTW I've sent John photos of my first ever Iron Age gold stater, along with photos of the smallest gold coin ever minted in the British Isles, a 1/8th sovereign of 24 carats,made to commemorate Queen Liz the 2nds 95th birthday in 2021, ( one of only 5,000 such tiny gold coins, and done).... I've included a modern 20 pence coin for scale, it is just shy of 13/16ths" at its widest points ( 20mm ). I hope you like the coins, and think my 'cunning plan' cunning, not mental! This deed has given me a real good fresh incentive to really hunt my 'Swingdom' for more stuff, which is really refreshing altogether.

• Administrators

Here are the pics - sorry so late. Been away for the last few days.

That is a great start to your collection. My moms husband has a great collection with a gold coin in it as well. I am hopeful to inherit it one sad day. Great stuff Tim!

IMG_20210903_121712152_HDR_2.thumb.jpg.22f8c821b2f1ce564daaa3aed7bcda10.jpgIMG_20210903_121911133.thumb.jpg.92c0487b193dfe6d329013b9457ec18d.jpgIMG_20210903_121911133_2.thumb.jpg.bd32dd1aba09c9b7b12a8350d71988fe.jpgIMG_20210903_122039120_2.thumb.jpg.7e0d20e16bcb7b4c7c51208df486e198.jpgIMG_20210903_122105318_2.thumb.jpg.bcba0e3ddb6b88f772d2a4cc321abba3.jpg1607419256_IMG_20210903_122203847_2(1).thumb.jpg.d242de126cb5c5d370e2a7ad2982c121.jpg

• Like 1

• Administrators

Thanks!  It is way better then the PHPBB forum we were using.  Only drawback is that PHPBB was free while I paid a ridiculous price for Invision Community setup. 

Will be doing work on it for a few days - then some upcoming blogs - articles - pages...etc.  

Can even tag people with the @ symbol...like this @Tim Kernowek 59  Not sure how it notifies just yet...but there it is.  😃

• Like 1

Agree with Tim, nice new look to the forum ..

Twice in my life, about 25 years apart, I down sized my possessions, a little more drastic than what you are doing though, Tim .. I took a few changes of clothes and left or gave away everything else I owned .. my brothers thought it to be crazy .. as one is a 'hoarder in the making' and another still owns everything he ever owned .. but both times I found myself where I felt like there was no other way and I was in the wrong place, by removing myself from everything I owned it turned out to be the best most refreshing thing I could have done. Both instances prove to be the right choice or a cunning plan, even though there are times I have needed to rebuy something I once had owned and some of those things aren't made like they once were. redirecting one's life is usually a good choice, be it small change or a total makeover. it's the noticing that things need to head in a different direction which makes the distinction between a cunning plan or (monetary) lapse of reason.

When my niece and nephews were young, for their Christmas present from their uncle, I would buy each a U.S. mint set, along with a ton of candy (to piss off my brothers and sisters-in-law) .. turns out that a couple of those mint sets have increased in value nicely .. asking if any of them still had those in their possession, they informed me all were broken up and spent on soda or the like, long ago .. or they don't remember where they landed .. the thought was there though, but as children all they saw was a extra shiny 91 cents.

• Like 1

Fair play to you Scott. Sometimes we simply have to follow that 'Alpha-Jerk' moments, as I heard the late, great, James Marshall Hendrix refer to such similar things in life. I'm still coming to grips with my plan. Today I bought another stater which I will collect on Wednesday 15th of this month. I shall ask my daughter or my son-in-law to photograph it and sent it to my e mail address for posting on. I'm a wee bit slow on figuring our how to get to read replies to my posts here on the 'new-look' forum. I wiill get better at it. Parcel on way to yu. Take care my friend. Cheers and gone.....

• Like 1