TheHunterGT Forums

Finds fom the 'Swingdom'.

Tim Kernowek 59

Here are three very recent finds from my best permission, my 'Swingdom', as I call it. They are from 27th August '21, and came from a five acre meadow on oil-seed rape stalks using my '75 with a MGC 9.5x5" DD search coil. I hope that you like them. A very small Roman persons fibula brooch, a 1877 Victoria six-pence, and a as yet un-researcged Roman sesturtius, or dupondius coin. I have asked John if he will up-load them, as I do not use a 'smart-phone' Happy Hunting All.

• Like 1

Thank you John. Fantastic level of picture quality. That little fibula brooch part 'speaks down the ages', so too the Roman coin. To sit and ponder the history that has passed by these two items is quite sobering for me, in a way. Some little Roman child once played happily in the meadow that held their prescence so secret for almost two thousand years, maybe one of his or her parents bent down to try and find their childs' lost brooch, and  a coin slipped from a pocket to join the brooch in hiding, until an American  F 75 muscle machine swung by a Cornish exile in 'mother' England found them once more.

• Like 2

• Administrators

My pleasure.  Yeah that is pretty bonkers to think about how long some of those Roman coins sit over there.  I wish the Native Americans over here used metal as much as the Romans did.  Although arrowheads are still a neat find.  When I found the arrowhead and game piece at the lake - I stared off into the distance thinking how he or she left both it and the game piece just sitting there.  Did he run off in fear - did he have an accident - did he just forget?  Best part about this hobby is the wonder it brings.

• Like 1

Thank you Scott. Yesterday; Wednesday 15th, I purchased two more coins, another Dobonnic coin ( an extremely rare gold quarter stater in VF condition), and a Charles 1st Crown in outstanding condition. Apparently the image of the King on horse-back, brandishing his sword is almost always very badly rubbed out, sometimes to the point of complete removal through wear. I simply couldn't pass up the Crown as an investment. My friend the numistmatist gave me excellent prices on both.  Now that I've gone with my plan I'm glad that I 'grabbed the bull by the horns'. I slept on the decision to buy the Crown as I had no intention of buying anything but Celtic coins. Now I must wait patiently for a really good stater to come my way. So glad that I have a friend that deals in rare coins and tokens! Damn lucky there, which makes a pleasant change. I hope that you and anyone else that sees these latest additions will find them interesting if John is good enough once more to up-load the pictures of them. I've included a U.S Dime for scale.

IMG_20210916_140747_resized_20210916_021827459.jpg

IMG_20210916_140804_resized_20210916_021827086.jpg

IMG_20210916_140846_resized_20210916_021826326.jpg

IMG_20210916_141318_resized_20210916_021825184.jpg

• Like 1