A brief visual history of Cornwall anyone?

Tim Kernowek 59

I've just got back from what remains of the metaphorical  'Alabama' of the U.K, Cornwall, the deep South-West of the U.K: any further South-West and your under the Big Pond, and they're pumpin' air down to you once more, and sucking mine water to surface... 'Kernow.' 'God's Country', 'Land of the Free' ( yeh right, " Thanks a bunch 'mother', bloody 'mother', England"): Land of my fathers, cousins, and countless hunting dogs, farmers, fishers, miners, wreckers, excise dodgers, contraband smugglers and boot-leggers. A once 'wholesome' land of Celtic origins, a once rich land; and a law unto itself, until the coming of the Angles and Saxons spoilt things BIG style!... But. "Enough already", of that lot!.. My three week stay was basically uneventful thanks to a current wee flu epidemic; C19, coupled with a Island-wide lack of vehicle fuel distribution, due to a lack of HGV drivers( post Brexit  and no HGV driver tests for 18 months due to C19). Plenty of fuel, but bugger-all means of getting it to filling stations, and the usual Neanderthal gene propensity of the panic buying British public making it scarcer still! Dumb-ass 'knuckle-dragging' morons... However, I did manage a visit to the Corwall Museum, in our 'capital' City of Truro. The little museum has had a wee make-over of late, and is far more vibrant and interesting because of it! Our Cornish history from Stone-Age to Industrial Revolution is on view, and for a relative back-water in terms of size, we Cornish have a very rich and very diverse history. In fact, at the advent of the 1700's the tiny Parish of Gwennap in South-West Cornwall was the richest square mile of the global mineral scene on the planet. Cornwall was producing 3/4's of the worlds copper back then. But I digress.....During my visit to the museum my 'brother' Paul took some reasonably good quality photos of contents of some of the show-cases on view. There are photos of  ancient artefacts, coins and the like, from the afore- mentioned Stone-Age  on  through the Bronze, Iron, Roman, Medieval, Industrial Revolution time spans, respectively. If anyone would like to see them I'd be pleased to forward them to John for posting up. They are self explanitory for the greater part, and with John's un-doubted skills at computerised photographic enlarging and presentation (should he choose to up-load with his permission ,and at his discretion), they might be worth a look, and prove interesting too perhaps...The 'Mylor Hoard' of Bronze-Age socketed axe-heads is my favourite, being that Mylor 'Alabama' is my home village! It's up to y'all. If it's a "Yay" from John and whoever would like to see the photos, please let me know on this forum, and absolutely no worries or whingings from myself if not.  Man am I glad to be in my own kitchen typing this topic....you would not believe how happy I am now! ..Phew!!! All my best to all.

Edited by Tim Kernowek 59
  • Like 1

Glad you're back to home .. and I would sure like the tour of the museum .. I use a website to post pictures to the internet, it is pretty simple, free and relatively safe, as any pictures uploaded to that site must first be on my PC .. here's a link if you chose to use it ..  https://imgbb.com/ .. You should be writing a book Tim, as you have a way of spinning things to make them interesting

• Like 1

• Administrators

Since there are so many pics I decided to just place them as sharable from my Google drive.  Link below opens it.   

Some awesome stuff there Tim.   Neat history of the area.  I'd love to go spend a week detecting and digging on that small attached island in the picture.  Finds like that deserve to be in a museum no doubt.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8cBbanjapyyvps4CA

• Like 2

spacer.png

some cool stuff right there, Thanks for sharing Tim ... the person that puzzle-pieced the bowl and pot back together gets my vote for most patient ... reminded me of back when my mom was still alive, she and my youngest brother would do big picture puzzles ... usually taking them a week to ten days to complete ... if I stopped by at the right moment I would take one piece, then return it just before they finished or place it back in the box, if I missed the finish .. or if I hit it just right, pretend to pick it up from the pile of 'now sorted' pieces and put it into the puzzle in front of them

• Like 1

Thanks you two. i'm glad that you found them interesting...Thank you for placing the photos on your shareable drive John. You are very kind to go to the  extent that you have in order that others may have a look at them. It is definitely the most sensible option to take with such a quantity of pictures....That attached island ( Tintagel ) would be worth a weekends swinging but for English Heritage and the National Trust, who would send us for a very short drop from a highly precipitous location, via the U.K Crown Court system ; 'Sing-Sing' for sure!.. I'd sure love to win a fantasy dig prize that allowed the 'odd plug' to be dug, here and there! 😉 Tintagel is purported to be one of King Arthur's hang-outs, if he ever existed in the first place!  He was 'King of the Britons', and fought the Saxon despoilers, so 'they' say. Looks like he lost.  The attention to detail and sheer purpose of perseverance that went into the pottery re-construction is the work of the consumate archaeological expert for sure Scott. It shows a true love of one's job of work..Thank goodness that the person who discovered the bowl didn't simply brush it aside in a quest for the 'Shiny Shiny'.

Edited by Tim Kernowek 59
add-ons after-thought.
  • Like 2