off TIDs and why I dig them

ScoTTT2

I had a little hunt tonight at the nearby school yard, while my wife visited with her dancing friends and about 5 inches down in the school yard built in the 1970s I found this 1910 V nickel .. and even though it isn't worth all that much, it could have just as easily been a 1885 V nickel and worth over $300 .. a nickel on the T2 is usually a 58, this nickel however rang in at a solid 54 .. a 54 TID on the T2 is, 95% of the time, a piece of lawnmower cut can, half a pop top or a beaver tail .. this nickel sounded much better (solid, short and sharp) and got dug .. this nickel also had no reason I could think of to be where it was as the property was a wooded lot at the edge of town in 1910 and the other coins I dug (all clad) were a bit deeper than this one. .. if I only dug by the number this old target would still be in the ground.

20211102_194456.jpg

• Like 1

Aye, if it sounds sweet crisp and even, mid-tone mellow (like a well tuned celo), or deep and dinty to me, it's definitely worth a look-see!... Nice find Scott. You'd have been a real good man with a Tejon or GiMPy with only sound to find by, I'm certain of that....As I've so boringly harped on about before: Almost all of us could hear before we were able to see. We almost all have ears that register sounds that lead ... It's those tell-tale tones that bring the finds to me. So glad I cut my teeth on antiquated 'pre-vdi' MD's.  It's of of the main reasons why I love my old 75. When those numbers  drop out it's tones stay alive.... Yet when really heavy trash really makes me cuss, I rely more on the numbers on my G2 plus!  I so am with you on coin depth vs age of mint findings. On those rare occasions, the surprise at finding an old coin an inch shallower than more modern ones  is a test for sure. More so when said coins are almost identical in size, mass and component metal....Beats me!

• Like 2