Metal detector Modes coin,jewelry,relic ect.

RichM

So probably a dumb question , but what advantage do certain modes have over others? I know that relic is deepest ect. If i choose to use coin mode over the others like jewelry what advantage does it give me if any? If im using a multi-freq machine and im using coin mode will it actually hit coins better like let's say on a frequency 1-40 that is running all at the same time?? 

• Like 3

The modes are designed for the types of differing hunting scenarios that apply to the hunters given search areas in relation to target types. These modes are also goverened by user preference, as they dictate . The deep seeking fraternity, above all else, tend to go for full-bore sensitivity, zero discrimination plus an iron/ferrous sound option (grunt), with a high tone for non-ferrous items. Great, as long as the given conditions allow. Mental on the sensitivity tho', because it throws the machines disc etc all to hell. It's dull for the vast majority of hunting; still, " It can't be helped, for those that can't or refuse be advised". More for the person following on properly!... Some machines have a Delta Pitch/Multi Tone option which gives a tone for each type of respective metal object the search coil comes across: a set number of tone options . In the case of a 75 there are 99 tones. The Modes run in conjunction with terrain types and object sought ie: JE in a F75 is for someone seeking very small non-ferrous items such as tiny silver/gold coins, or jewellery, there are other modes that completely knock out tiny/small iron (nails esp) allowing zero discrimination to a limited extent; 1N on a 75. Some modes are for hunting plough furrows and other such uneven, or undulating surface formations. Then, of course there are the Boost, and Cache modes etc for hunting cleaner less iron laden or highly miniralised soil types to greater depth. Best way forward for anyone starting out (in my op), is to make yourself a basic  'Test Garden' using YOUR soil type. Put in desirable target coins at varying depths, spaced a couple of feet apart from each other. Five or six coins will do fine. Then try your machine over them, adjusting  menu options/ tones/modes, sens, iron tone, discriminations etc, until 'the penny drops' . With enough practice it soon will..... That way you'll know better how set your machine to hunt respective of YOUR soil type.....Train hard, fight easy' being the dictum here...As far as the SMF machines go; Ask John. He will definitely be of immensley greater help than I. I do not hunt with a SMF machine: ...yet.......perhaps I may in the future if things pan out to my satisfaction.. Hope this helps... Scott 'knows his stuff', too. He will no doubt fill you in on the gaps I've left, and have helpful hints of his own regarding your question... Get my drift about not having too many machines to begin with now?... I have no idea which machine/s you refer to so can only try to help based on my 75. A G2+ doesn't do multi 'Modes' as such. BTW Rich, I hunt my G2+ at sensible sens/gain, rarely over 77 setting, I go 35 to 37 on the V Break, no notch at all ( U.K hunting doesn't need it, in my op), and 17 on the Iron 'grunt, yes 17. I can reduce to if pushed, but I need Max Info in  iron to find things I'm after. If the iron gets stupid concentrated I reduce iron volume, but seldom under 13. If a tiny silver hammered or bit of Au is within depth the G2+ in Medieval or Roman litter it will lock to it like a ships barnacle to a flat-bottom.

Edited by Tim Kernowek 59
  • Like 3

Thank's for the info!! really helpful and appreciate you taking the time ... the only thing im confused on is that isn't the 75 that you use a single frequency machine? Thanks Tim!

• Like 2

I'm guessing you are talking about a vanquish (I have a vanquish 340 ) ..  of which the exact working of the SMF is mostly/some what unknown, except by minelab (but informatively guessed at by the smarter minds in this hobby) as to keep it a trade secret not easily duplicated .. beyond the obvious of having different parts of the TID scale notched out and the little information put forth in the owners manual .. there is a noticeable difference in the modes as to the way each runs .. I'm guessing here, that the jewelry mode runs with emphasis on the frequencies that favor gold and silver and smaller misshapen items .. allowing the machine to process and report these type of targets easier .. coin mode will run with frequencies that hit coin signals better (round, solid, coppery, upper end of the TID scale) .. relic mode will run with the emphasis on the frequencies that go deeper, etc. .. I'm saying 'run with', but it is more of where the processer places its focus .. by choosing jewelry mode you are telling your machine I want to find targets that maybe jewelry and the machine puts more focus to those type of targets and reports them to you with a little more umph than in a different mode .. telling you that "hey there's something down there that might be what you're looking for, check it out".. even though there isn't a control on the threshold of the vanquish, the different modes may also open or close a threshold or something similar allowing for better targeting of the desired treasure .. the more 'open' a threshold the more and smaller signals are allowed to be processed .. each of the modes gives a better response to what it is described as .. so in jewelry mode a tiny gold cross earring will sound off with a more solid "check it out" tone than if it was in coin mode and may well be missed or softly reported if it was in relic mode .. that is not saying that the machine doesn't know the earring is there in coin mode, it does .. but in coin mode the machine doesn't think you want to be bothered with such a tiny misshapen target so far down the TID scale, so it doesn't 'emphasize' the report back to you .. it still tells you it's there just a little more subtle .. so with that, there is an advantage to running in a mode that represents the targets you are hunting for .. these modes are engineered by some really smart electronics guys who's understanding of the science goes far beyond my pencils ability to do the math, which takes the knowledge needed to run a machine a certain way out of the hands of the user, making it much simpler .. so there is probably a lot more to it than my simple explanation/guess .. also a single frequency machine can be set up similarly as to hit coins better or small jewelry better or just go deep .. for example; I run my T2 a lot in all metal, this tells the machine I don't want it to process anything, if there's metal down there below the coil I want to know it .. the processing is then done by my ears and I decide if the signal is worthy of investigating or not .. where as if I hunt in one of the tone modes the machine processes the signal for me and reports if the target is ferrous, non ferrous or where on the TID scale it most likely rests, depending on which mode I'm hunting in .. this takes some of the guessing or 'human processing' out of the equation .. the modes of the vanquish is a step further on removing the 'human processing' and in theory makes identifying a target easier.

• Like 3

It is, however in your earlier post regarding 'Answering The Chat Box', you mentioned the 75 and also the G2+. Thought you owned both, from the sounds of things, or one of them at least, as I read it.. Apologies if not.... Being as how I use both the 75 and the G2+  I gave you a reply to your question regarding Modes based on that premise. Modes are to be found in most of the vdi machines, some may have a multi- myriad of them., others less. They all all retain the same propensities irrespective of a machine's manufacturer respectively. So whether a machine is SF, MF, or a SMF/ SSMF, modes operate on a similar basis regardless. I don't do Minelabs, nor have I a SMF as yet, I've never had cause to use other than my old 75 and slightly less old G2+, but I do know them both very well, esp: the 75.  I am keen to see how the long awaited Nokta/Makro SMF Flag-ship machine performs once it goes on sale. I intend to give it fair-time; 12-18 months oughta do, and if it is 'for me' then I shall make my long awaited step into SMF.. I'm a very patient countryman, from out 'in-country' Rich.  I never get led or run with the crowd, nor to I 'dive in on a whim'... I've had the time as a hunter of game animals to learn  that the better hunters are the very patient creatures . They never get led by 'the pack'. They sit back, watch the pack's antics, learn much, and then decide whether or not it's worth the effort, or give 'it' a wide berth. 'Tis why i've never piked up a Nox... A Nox 'ain't for me'....I'd break it...So yeh, your best option in my op is to get John's appraisal on SMF modes specifically. John has 'hands-on' experience with them, he is also very fair and objective,too.  His reviews on machines are like-wise objective and un-brand-blinkered. He really likes the 75, but as he so rightly says, it's been around a while now, set the bar, and done it's turn on the waggon. Time for me maybe trying something new, perhaps.   I bet my best hat that the new single frequency First Texas machine that's nearly ready to go out to the public will be worth a look at, too....  Maybe I'll spoil myself for a change, rather than my Grand-childerbeestes as usual ! 😉 Enough already! I hope that you have a great weekend Rich.. Good huntin'. 😀

• Like 3

Fair play Scott, that was a very good run-down regarding modes my friend. That'll help Rich way more than I'm able. Please God that NM keep things highly effective but simple to set up and use with an un-cluttered level of understanding with their SMF Flag-ship.

• Like 3

Thanks Tim, but theHunterGT .. has a better understanding of this, I'm sure of that fact ..

to be fair to ML, when I was looking for my first detector, the Nox was so pushed down my throat as the end all be all if you don't have this you ain't nothing detector that it kind of soured me to the company .. I do have a few hours above the coil of one a friend owns , but probably will never own one myself .. it does have some impressive abilities, as does the vanquish and every time I take the 340 out it has given me something to smile about .. but so does the T2 and even with its old tech, it is still up there with the others, which says a lot and I feel more at home running it and have never felt under machined while doing so. if indeed FT markets and makes a machine that betters it, that machine will be a force to be reckoned with. and if NM gets ride of that "ducky quack" report tone with this new SMF, here's hoping...it's not quite as annoying as the bonging of the bell tone of the Garrett ace, but pretty close. I'm hoping that NM isn't putting out a new machine that is as good as a Nox, but rather one that is "what can be done best" with SMF and is a step above. The timing of the new XP machine and it's touted abilities is also interesting to me, but even with this it gets the ability to have a Nox tone??. I have a gut feeling that we are also about to see a new Tarsacci machine in the near future and, all loyalty to FT aside, that one may well be the future of metal detectors.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Some good detailed responses by the fellas.  To sum it all up - it depends on the detector.  

With the Ace Apex - changing modes merely changes notch placement.  No sensitivity or frequency weighing differences.  

With the Vanquish - you get notch changes AND freq-weight differences.  So yes - if in coin mode - it will process the lower freqs more heavily and allow you to hit deeper silver.  That is the theory anyways...

With the Simplex - you get sensitivity changes - notch changes - tone break point changes.  (No freq weighing as it is single freq)

The list goes on and on and each detector will have a way of doing it.  For a general rule of thumb....

Coin modes "usually" add notches above and below nickels...so screw caps and foil respectively are notched out.  Freq will weigh towards the lower freqs. 

Jewelry modes usually give you everything but iron...some sensitivity changes for small objects may happen.  Freq usually weighs towards the upper end of the scale.

Relic modes usually give you the full notch and freq band...but some are similar to jewelry mode and will cancel iron.

Beach modes usually allow you to ground balance to 0 (salt)...and may have sensitivity changes to help handle the wet saltwater.  Freq is usually full band.  

• Like 1

spacer.png

Thanks to you all on the Info, and Tim im sorry for the confusion when you typed 'SMF' I thought that stood for single machine frequency..i just realised thats not  what it meant 'bangs head' lol And i don't own f75 i was asking hunter what a step up would be from the landrangerpro as far as depth that is just like the lrp, i own a g2+ and vanquish540 currently. Scott thanks appreciate the info and is a huge help!!Hunter great run down!! and i think im gonna try coin mode more often because silver is what im looking for mainly:) You guys have given me so much info im processing it and i really appreciate it! My last question is what would a gold ring hit on the g2 plus for a gold ring??(Hunter my newbie brother messed up my f-pulse pp setting's so i had to go back to your video and set them back thanks!!)

• Like 3

• Administrators

Iron breaks at 40 on the G2+...so ID of 41 clear up to 77 where zinc is.  Gold rings will lay in that entire range.  Most in the 41-60 range.  You should be looking for a stable solid ID that does not change much (if at all) as you rotate the target.   Glad you got the F-Pulse sorted - always a pleasure!

• Like 3

spacer.png

Good forum to find and join Rich. don't you think? There's lots of useful info on here already, plus pics of finds, if you choose to 'back-browse' when you have time I reckon that you may find most of it interesting and cheerful. There's never a hard word on this forum: no sniping or bitchin'....... Scott and John both endorse the Vanquish as a better machine by far in mineralised ground, especially for deeper targets, so you're sorted there as far as an excellent all-rounder is concerned..... Both John and I thing well of the G2+ as a very competant machine for 'locking on' to coins and gold amongst trash in all soil types ( it is designed as a 19 kHz turn-on-ground balance-and- go, gold finder ), so you really do have two great 'guns' to go hunting with.... I really do  tend to harp on about my 75 a lot, but that's because I've used it (reasonably successfully), an awful lot for some good long years, and I know it inside out (more than less ). However, I readily accept it's short-comings without me spitting out the proverbial dummy like a big baby ***** mong. Fisher F75's, in all their forms, have most definitely been around a heck of a time. The F75 set the bar for other manufactures to attempt to equal in performance, reliability ergonomics ( design,  balance, and  ease of handling for long periods ), factory after-sale back-up, and durability.... These days it has been surpassed by some other excellent machines, in some key areas... I accept all factual criticism of it's short-comings, because they are factual, there is no dancing around the truth for me. However, mere mention of another persons machine being anything short of 'the ultimate' sometimes provokes intense rudness from the ego-inflated mouths of the brand-blinkered-'blind'. .... This forum differs hugely from 'gang-land' forums. What we have here is politeness, forth-right honesty, an ability to listen, and a will to help each other if we can. Not too many contribute to the forum, as yet, but that's not a bad thing. Far from it in some respects. It's always better to build slowly and steadily, have a few real good mates that get along really well, rather than a gang of BS'ing egotistical bigots and hecklers that blow hot air up each others butts, and pick on those they deem 'less than they'. Now go find some coins and artefacts Rich , and best of all have fun whether you find them or not. 😁

• Like 3

Rich ... here's the video I mentioned in my previous post ... for me it was an eye opener ... he uses the Nox, which has a different TID scale than the G2+, but what he is showing here holds true to all detectors ... one thing I find that helps me dig rings is as Tim said the tone is locked on to a single number or relatively small group of numbers .. it is a solid tone, more easily discerned from other targets with a bit of practice ... and as you will see in the video, it doesn't matter what the numbers are. ... every ring is slightly different in size, shape and what it is made of, a 14K ring is a little more than half gold, but the other half could be silver or copper or nickel or a mix of different metals .. so a ring is not consistent with another ring, it is slightly different .. thus a detector will ring up a number different from another ring that is 14K, but that number won't waiver much if at all. With the Nox/vanquish iron numbers are negative and end at zero ... the G2 iron starts at zero and goes to 40 ... so everything in the positive numbers on the Nox is non ferrous where the G2 non ferrous starts at 41.  they are two different scales that represent the same thing and work similarly

notice the nickel/pull tab numbers only represent a few gold rings ... most of these gold rings are at a different number.

Edited by ScoTTT2
  • Like 3

BANG ON!. Good on you for up-loading this video of a SMF at work on gold Scott...Top man... Makes me wish I had a big old pile of gold rings so's I could run them across Delta Pitch in JE , and also on my G2+ for the craic. Sadly my haul of gold is hugely limited!  Good job for me that most all thin sectioned small to medium size ( 1/4" to 1 1/4" ) silver hammered coins that I come across from time to time almost exclusively sound so similarly 'tight' and 'rich' tonal wise. in DP, with only the occaisional 'high-flyer'.  Key is, dig those 'rich' mid-tones.  They'll  be there after your vdi is down and gone Rich. High tones speak for themselves, and they're another story!

additional after-thoughts
  • Like 3