LRP Vs. Fisher f44

RichM

As i had a LRP , but no longer have it and i loved that machine i have a few questions mainly for Hunter but anyone else also if you know either machine. How do they fair against one another? Hunter i think you said that the LRP held a slight edge in a YT video? , but with LRP limited coil options..and fisher f44 able to sport a 15 inch coil i believe, IM curious on a verus thing along with using different coils?? Thanks!!!

• Like 1

• Administrators

Both are 7.7kHz.  I think the F44 is the better buy for coil selection alone.  It also has some neat features the LRP does not have such as iron audio - backlight - ability to change category tone.  F44 has a slightly faster recovery speed and is built slightly better as well.  

LRP advantage is that is has a Vbreak if users want to run 0 disc.  LRP also has and an adjustable notch from 1-20 wide that you can place anywhere on the scale.  F44 is all category notch...but an effective one.  

• Like 2

spacer.png

Thanks hunter!!! So you think the bigger coil 13/15 inch persay , would give extra 2 inchs or so on depth??IF the LRP was able to sport a larger coil than 11inch which i think it is not from my understanding then that would be awesome. I know there are machines that blow these outa the water and if my questions are useless or bothersome please let me know. My goal is to have 2 machines that i can adapt to a single frequency and a multi-frequency. 

• Like 2

Hi Rich, I think that it is excellent that you are keen to gain knowledge. It's "Bang On!", especially as you are using the forum in order to do so. John is definitely the 'Go to man' for information regarding the various machines as he has vast 'hands-on' with the majority of them, especially FT machines. I myself learn an awful lot from this forum, and any useful interesting knowledge is easy to remember. I like your siding toward finding a really good SF ( single frequency) to run along with a SMF ( simultaneous multi-frequency). So many 'experts', and more especially sellers of SMF's say that the SMF's make SF archaic; obsolete, even. Junk talk. FT for one, would cease production of SF machines in an instant, not bring out an another high-end one, with it's new coil design, in the near future...Again Rich, keep things 'simple yet very good', don't be a 'sheep' or a 'perceived obsolecence junkie', and BE PATIENT. NM ( Nokta Makro), are about to release their first SMF very soon. Fantastic, Great. YEEEE-friken HAAA!!! It's definitely what's needed to 'rattle the roost! I'm really keen to see how it goes; but will I buy one straight away, simply because it's there? You betcha I won't. I'll sit back, wait, and then see how it stacks up against FT's SMF when it comes out. Only then, will I make my decision and go buy my first SMF machine.  Let others rush out and buy, let them do the hard yards, let them say, if only to themselves, " I wish I'd waited, that ......SMF is better than the one I tore off to the shops to buy".... Thankfully, for industry and commerce, there is a vast over-whelming nucleus of people that do not share my take on the matter... The coins and artefacts ain't going anywhere soon, most of the very best ones are only discovered when that tiny 'sweet-spot' on the search coil nicks them, and there's countless billions of 'em out there!....I hope 😉😁

• Like 2

I have four different coils for my main machine .. the stock 11", a 9.5" sharpshooter, a 5" round, and a 13" ultimate .. the 13 inch hasn't proven better depth to me in the places I hunt compared to the others .. it air tests way off the charts and indeed gives a few inches over the other coils, but sadly we don't hunt for things in the air and in real world hunting, the advantage the 13" has is that it covers more ground per swing, not that it goes deeper .. the deepest targets I've dug were when using the 11" stock coil .. the deepest treasure I've dug was when using the 5" round coil .. I have yet to hunt a place where I could use the air test depth of the 13" to any advantage.

IMO...you'd be better off buying an F75 or T2, leaving it stock and fully learning it, before buying a F44 or LRP to customize (around the same money)....I wouldn't base my decision to buy a machine on how it could be customized, but rather on how it stands alone....you are not going to make a F44 into a F75 by adding a coil.

• Like 3

Very true words Scott. How a machine in it's stock format performs is vitally important...Bigger DD's are for different courses. Very thoroughly tested, my Cors Cannon gives my 75 more depth than the stock 7x11,  in pasture,  in mid to low mineralisation, low ferrous/non ferrous trash concentrations. I'm glad that it does, considering it's $228 price tag over five years ago, and I do a lot of my hunting over established grass leys. Other than that the 5x10 and 7x11's are the better types, if they were not then manufacturers wouldn't sell many them as standard, in my op.

• Like 2

if it wasn't for this forum and a bit of advice a few months back, I would have sold off the 13" ultimate .. still it seldom sees any action on my machine .. there is almost no place around me where I hunt that isn't some type of machine gun report from the trash, be it modern aluminum or a bit older iron .. and the T2 is a EMI magnet, you could almost use it as a EMI meter as is ... I could see the beach guys liking the big coils and maybe some other places where there is a more neutral soil a big coil would be a benefit ... but even these places and the machines sold to hunt such places all come stock with a relatively small coil .. it would seem that if there was a noticeable benefit to a large coil the manufactures would be offering up a machine with one stock and as an option, have the smaller coils.

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 11/12/2021 at 6:49 PM, RichM said:

Thanks hunter!!! So you think the bigger coil 13/15 inch persay , would give extra 2 inchs or so on depth??IF the LRP was able to sport a larger coil than 11inch which i think it is not from my understanding then that would be awesome. I know there are machines that blow these outa the water and if my questions are useless or bothersome please let me know. My goal is to have 2 machines that i can adapt to a single frequency and a multi-frequency. 

Your questions are never bothersome or useless.  It is our pleasure to help. 

It's a maybe with the larger coil.  If it is inert soil - you will see a depth gain.  Like Scott mentioned - air tests will show better results than in ground tests will with a larger coil.  Often times a larger coil will have the opposite effect in bad dirt - and give you less depth due to mineral feedback.  Like high beams in fog.  A smaller coil can often reach deeper than a larger coil in gold claim type dirt - with a VLF anyways. 

He makes a good point that adding a larger coil to a F44 brings you close to F75 money - and that is far superior to the F44.  Something to think about.

IMO - every detectorist should have a single freq in their arsenal.

• Like 2

spacer.png

Yep Rich, I agree with both Scott and John. From what I've seen and heard your soil types aren't really suited to the bigger coil types, especially in  gold and other precious mineral bearing areas. As I said, the soil type that I hunt in in my particular location is good for my big coil but if I tried using it in Cornwall, where I hail from, it's use as far as extra depth would be negated. Cornwall is extremely rich in precious metals ( not gold I hasten to add ), so the soil types are heavily mineralised there for the larger part. Copper coinage from as late as the 20th century are can often come up 'pickled' from soil conditions there, whereas in the areas that I hunt up in England the copper coins from the early 18th century, although well 'weathered' ( smoothed), tend to be in a good state of repair. Even Roman coppers and bronzes are really good in my area, all things considered.  In retrospect I wish that I'd been more specific previously whilst lauding the advantages of my Cors Cannon...I failed to consider differing soil types...Dumb-ass me.  Apologies fellas.🙄

• Like 2

most of the questions Rich has been asking were the same ones I had just a relatively short while back .. you need to ask them in order to understand

another thing I've noticed more and more is the type of fertilizer being used by the lawn pros .. it is heavily ironized .. which quickly makes the grass a deeper green-blue .. when I was a landscaper this wasn't the way it was done .. but now it is the big thing and it will be put down every year, or twice a year, depending on which package you order from the company ... this fertilizer really sounds off on the T2 and the ground balance doesn't cancel it out .. it really messes with the big coil.

there are places from what I have heard, like Florida, that have a more neutral dirt .. but that is not where I hunt .. one place I think of where the big coil would be a benefit, near me, the ground is only six inches of loam over bed rock .. but it is quiet there and the T2 can be opened up comfortably .. if the soil was deep there the big coil would be able to get down deep, but it isn't .. the rest of the places I hunt it just can't be done. .. for me the bigger coil is a limited use item and the 9x5 sharpshooter coil is the better all-a-rounder, as it handles the emi and mineralized soils better, but still allows you to cover a fair bit of ground and gets down fairly deep.

• Like 2