probably the last hunt for the year

ScoTTT2

yesterday the ground was frozen, today I was able to dig and did an hour hunt at a local park I hit a bunch...six inches down in an area I know my coil has gone over and over, I managed a 1939D mercury dime....tomorrow it is going to be cold once again and probably freeze things up for the rest of the year. ... this year was a very good one for me as far as digging old coins is concerned, also ending the year with 106 rings LTT. ... still didn't get a 1700s coin, but did knock off the US large cent from my list, with two found this year.

next year I am going to continue my experiment and move across the road at the four corners park and dig every tone from the ground, to see what opens up .. this time, however, I'm going to record my findings .. hoping to see and show how things are masked .. if it repeats and closely matches the other part of the park I did this to, I should make some great finds there. ... I'm not going to record every dig, just daily ... the amount and over all depth of iron removed, the amount of other trash removed, along with non-ferrous and good finds, I may also record any funky TIDs I come across ... is there anything specific any of you  might like to know, that I might be able to find in an experiment like this, is there anything else you'd like me to record? .. is there any advice on how to best go about this, that maybe I haven't thought of?

this park is on the original drawing of the design of the town from 1792...it was to match another park, which was the first clearing of the woods that once stood where the town is now ... both parks exist now, but this "four corner park" had two unexpected roads crossing it by the time the land was cleared in 1800, thus making it a four corners park and not the one acre match to the park in the center of town. The southern adjacent property had some form of commerce from 1799 to 1875, with three buildings, each burned by fire, then in 1875 a church was started and finished being built during 1877. The church still stands there today. The east adjacent property had a Inn or boarding house until the early 1900s when it too burned to the ground. A phone company is in the brick building built after the fire. This part of the park is also the place where I found my first ever silver coin, an 1881h five cent Canadian (fish scale) about 9 inches down. It has also produced a 10K gold cuff link and a 14K ladies diamond ring. The last time I hunted there I couldn't find any easy "dig me" signals, but there was a lot of signals I would guess were trash signals.

• Administrators

Nice save on the Merc.  Always a great year when you can mark off a bucket lister or two, I have yet to find a large cent myself.  

I know of a couple guys that make recording of their finds.  I am not sure exactly what they jot down - but they carry pen and pad with them each hunt. 

I would guess the following would cover most bases...

Depth - menu settings used - coil type and size used - orientation of coin (if possible) - soil conditions from ground balance - wet or dry soil.

Not sure really...might be going overboard and take the fun away from it.  Or might be the total opposite and make a person ever more interested.  I'm interested to hear how it pans out for you.   They say the deep iffy signals are the good stuff...so if it pans out and you can get some sort of baseline on the readings for your location - I say why the heck not.  If old coins start popping up left and right...we might all be taking pens and paper with us.

• Like 1

spacer.png

Thanks Hunter....I'll take all that into consideration...I'm really hoping that this part of the park opens up like the other side did....I'm not sure just how many old coins I found once I started removing the iron and trash signals there, but it was a lot and there is no reason it should differ much on this side ... actually I started at first trying to see if I could dig it all, then the ground open up giving signals I didn't hear at first (I wasn't expecting that to happen) and once it did, I wished I had recorded my efforts there and if that happens again here, it might be the way to hunt the places that were clean out by the guys in the 70s and 80s ..  making the work to treasures ratio a worth while adventure..... I was talking with Nasa Tom, who has done this a bunch....he believes that 95% of the good targets are still in the ground, masked or beyond the depth capabilities of a detector ... he also told me that you can clear every sound with a detector and still have a bunch of stuff in the ground ... targets masked by such small pieces of iron that the detector can't pick it up. ... but I'm giving it a go.

I'll be sure to share my finding here.

• Like 1

Fair play Scott! What a year you've had finds wise! Plenty of silvers! Large cents, and a haul of rings and jewellery I can only dream of finding...and there's still 'The Hills' to hunt! It's a good plan you have for next year's digging season regarding recording things of significance as you come by them...Over here, I've found some coins that aren't un-common as such, yet still nice finds. I'll wait until Paul gets back up here from Cornwall, and then I can get him to photograph the better ones. Once he's done that, I will send them as per earlier,; John willing. Always remember, there is no such thing as 'cleaned out ground'. Nasa Tom is correct in his belefs I think..The Norfolk Wolf (GBNF),voiced exactly the same view: God bless and keep him well.. Next year seems as though we will have some great reviews of new top-end machines coming from John. The NM "jingle-bells' / my 'willy's' better than your wanda" was nice, but I like it better when a big gun suddenly delivers without the fan-tan. I never blow warm air up anyones 'proverbial', but for me, I prefer American machines. FT's in particular. I just find in them all I need, and all I enjoy in a metal detector. I've used several very good non U.S machines, but they don't give me that wee 'thingy'...If only Jack's boys had moved with the times...if only. That U.K Spec Tejon was an 'Animal' that I had some wonderful times with. It made me ' Stop; Think, and 'See the wood for the trees'.... It was the 'North American P51 Mustang' equivelant, of it's day, for me....I sure hope FT bring out a 'McDonnell Douglas F35 11' equivelant of our present time! Roll on '22, men. Long live our great forum. Long live the U.S.A / U.K bond, and our massive mutual respect and friendship.

• Like 1

we've surely been privileged to the FT things in the wings ... not sure though where that may lead, but I still have some high hopes. I spent a few posts on another forum defending the T2 .. with a guy telling me that my detector can't do what it does .. at the end of the day he admitted he didn't 'think' the T2 would do those things and he wouldn't use the all metal mode, all this after others chimed in with similar results as to what I was saying .. so he hasn't and doesn't know what the T2 is capable of, but he knows it's not as good as what he uses and can 'prove' it .. again comparing to the old tech and dismissing it as no longer workable in this heavily competitive sport of digging .. this guy is not a smart guy, but portrays one on TV .. one of the guys that spent so much time down playing and degrading Keith Southern's videos, to the point that Keith no longer is making anything new .. the MDing community lost a lot of common sense with that, IMO ... at least we still have TheHunterGT as the voice of reason. That thread ended with him telling me he really wasn't cutting me down (which he was, through out) and me telling him I was laughing at him every time I read and replied to what he was posting.....anyway, I wish I knew what was happening to Keith .. I could have help defend him, he has taught me a lot .. as I will if something similar happens to John. ... it seems funny to me that here in the 21st century we have grown so much that now we need to prove who's the best at digging an old button, or not digging an old nail, hoping that maybe that will be the one thing that gets us into the TH'ing Hall of Fame or at least honorably mentioned on the list at the pearly gates. You know, the important things in life. ... there's a lot to be said of the tech we are now privileged to, and using the last 30 years as an example, it can easily be argued that mankind as a whole isn't ready for it....or at best, easily manipulated by the constant bombardment of words and thoughts.....I would venture a guess that there are many people 30 years old and younger that haven't had a imaginative thought of their own, ever .... and those that have are having to spend more time defending that thought, than actually acting on it or allowing it to come to fruition. .... so ... sorry for this morning's rambling.

Some mothers 'do 'ave 'em', Scott. As soon as I read your correspondence I thought, " John will go mental, and life-ban me from any of his 'doings', if I tell y'all of my actual word for word reply, to one 'intellectually challenged' ( that's nice), 'member of the metal detecting fraternity (so's that), that eventually incurred the whip-cut  'darker' side of my verbal repertoire.  My reply to this troll, finished my Face-book 'journey' utterly: terminus-of.  I was merrily type-yapping to a couple of real cool guys. We were discussing the pros and cons of the T2/F75 machines. All was fine and dandy: cool and groovy...until, from 'under the clippity-cloppity bridge slunk the troll-skunk.... "Yeh, they're ok as far as they go as a novice/mid-range level thing. They're 'cheap as chips' on E Bay U.K, but as detectors for 'professionals' they're non-starters". He continued, "Brand new, First Texan (n) are flogging them off under £550.... Brand New!...Says it all, for me mate".    Try,  as I did,  to patiently explain that F75 came to the table wellll over ten years gone at £ 996, inc VAT, over here, as well as explaining that F75 was the machine that manufacturers of  top-end VLF machines aspired to, and indeed judged themselves against....Only now, they were 'end of line', they'd 'run their course'. Hence a big price drop to sell them off before dis-continuation of production.  "NAH"...Big flippen, "NAH".... He was having none of it.  And then he got personal... He informed me that Cornish people's mind-sets and habits still resided in the 'Mud-Huts'  of our Celtic Iron-Age ancestors. Collectively we were 'Un-groomed, ill-educated, and Pagan'. Finishing his diatribe, he informed me that my surname wasn't, infact, a true Cornish one ( not beginning with 'Tre', 'Pol', or 'Pen').  Clinging to the last threads of politeness, I informed him that he was, indeed correct, and infact my surname is Norse/French...'Norman'.  To this he replied, " Tell me something I don't know, Norman: Lol Lol..Ho-Ho"......So I told him that his mother could t'''''''''''''.   I can only surmise that his mother failed to fully inform him of her 'propensity to 'encompass.'..... It's a shame Keith was slated by such a fool. Doubtless he wouldn't venture 'down to the woods' to speak directly to Keith; that'd be a mistake I reckon. I guess Keith, similar to me with FB, has had a guts-full. Keith is a great man, in my opinion. Keith and 'Norfolk Wolf' were the men that ultimately got me 'together' with the the Tejon. They both really liked Tejons.  Keith's vides on Tejon are some of the very finest on the machine. Todd Brown aka Scannerguy1968 also made two very fine videos on Tejon, and the Vaqu.............how's that for a, 'ramble back atcha Scott!'.........bleedin' ramblin's in me blood. Irish on one side of me line, Norman one t'other,  Cornish in between, and NOW, living 'in country' up in Mother bleedin' England! "Gawd'n the Saints 'elp me!" Now for my kick-back, and John's Live-Stream, for this week..

Edited by Tim Kernowek 59
context error at start
  • Like 1