Can Someone Tell Me ???

I have decided to purchase the Simplex plus for my grandson but the only ones I can find new all have the current 2.78 firmware or software installed in them everything i have been told the 2.78 firmware was not a good update in most peoples opinion, that is what has been holding me up on pulling the trigger on the purchase, i myself have never used or even seen the Simplex Plus in action other then on the net in you tube videos

my question is if I purchase a new Simplex Plus can I or can I not downgrade the firmware to the 2.77 or will i be stuck with the 2.78 can someone please let me know their opinions on the simplex plus with the 2.78 or at the vary least tell me if I could downgrade to the better firmware am I over thinking this whole purchase

also to THGT i sent you an email

Thanks everyone for reading

Edited by Djsmith1959

about a month ago someone on another forum asked if I still had the v2.77 down load on my PC ... that down load came in a folder sent to my pc from which it was down loaded to the detector ... I looked and still had the folder, but the contents were not there ... I don't know how that happened ... I then went to the NM web site where I got the down load from and the V2.77 was no longer there either.

the simplex I bought was V2.78 and it seemed to me to have a "wall" (I don't know how else to describe it) to where if the detector couldn't give a good TID it gave you nothing ... no report at all ... so if there was a deeper coin under the coil and the detector couldn't give a accurate ID then you didn't know anything was there ... it still hit a bunch of stuff and for the price is the detector I would suggest for someone just starting out, but the V2.77 will allow a report from those targets you don't get an good ID on, letting you know that something is there .. I've also heard, second hand, that NM has doctored the V2.78 on the new machines to fix that ... I don't know for sure if that's true.

When I bought the simplex I was unimpressed and remained so until I switched to V2.77, but I have also only ever really had any time with the T2 as my detector. If I had started out with the simplex and didn't know any better I would have had a different opinion of the simplex. Take into consideration the T2 is the top of the line Teknetics detector and the simplex is a beginners detector for NM. Still the simplex is a good buy and if the grandson really gets into the hobby it won't take him long to save his finds from hunting with the simplex to be able to buy the detector of his choice.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Thank you ScoTTT2 I guess I will have just take a chance and see how it is I have to purchase pretty quick because my grandsons birthday is coming pretty quick i already told him what I was getting him so cant take that back now he was really excited so I can not let him down LOL the things we do for our grand kids

Edited by Djsmith1959
  • Like 3

Yea Dj, keep up the excitement and he won't know what he's missing...and maybe with a bit of beginners luck he'll make the find of a life time right off the bat ... I know that my first year detecting I made so may good finds that I got hooked and almost everyone of those finds could have been found with just about any detector ... surely a simplex, even with the V2.78, would have been a good detector to start with ... it wasn't until recently when I started searching for the really deep stuff, where a better detector was even needed.

• Like 3

Yep, perfectly safe to go BACK to 2.77 FROM 2.78. It'll be a lot better. 2.78 'throttled' the machine. My advice, for what it's worth, do NOT run the 2.77v Simplex on maximum gain, either. It doesn't need it, it'll be too 'wired'. The next few sentences have been covered on the forum, but to save you searching; Only those that either know no better, or who are irrevocably set in their, "Go for the max-gain you can get away with, at all costs, and 'swing like hell', " silliness / mind-set , or those blessed folk who are fortunate enough to have excessively low ground mineralisation ( 'candy-floss soil', as John calls it), can expect full gain/sensitivity to enhance their hunting: it won't: especially not on Simplex v 2.77 it won't.... Secret is to get away with the most USEFUL  gain/sensitivity setting possible for YOUR ground conditions.  Try putting your  machine flat on  the ground, outside, with the coil at 90 degrees vertical. Then turn it to max gain/sens. Now wave a small SILVER coin back and forth in front of the coil face. Silver being a low conductive metal, but much sought after. Gradually, still waving the coin across the coil face, move it in a direction away from the coil face. When the TONAL value drops out ( forget the vdi numbers), push a twig into the ground at the exact point the coin failed to get a TONE. Now adjust gain/sens to say, half-power (5/10...2/4...). Repeat the process with the SILVER coin: note where tonal value drops out: push another twig into the ground. All will be evident to you....It's similar to the old transistor wireless days, in a way. Turn volume to quarter; tune in to Radio Luxembourg, on it's short wave-length; find the music; turn the volume up, and "Hey Presto!" the musical quality distorts: the machine can't cope......Sensible gain/sens: low and slow-ish swing. Hope this helps yourself and himself, Dj.  I bet Scott and John'll probably laugh, or maybe roll their eyes, respectively, after yet another of the Cornishman's rambles!

• Like 3

• Administrators

In my opinion...if it is for a beginner to the hobby.  I don't think they will know the difference.  It takes somebody with experience to tell the difference.  

It is not like 2.78 turned it into a turd or anything.  It is only the vets of the hobby who will notice the change and prefer 2.77.   I would not lose any sleep over it.

• Like 1

spacer.png

well I am not exactly new to detecting I have been hunting since 2010 but these new machines are going to be a new learning experience for me, I just want the Simplex plus to run as good as it can for my grandson was  teaching him the ends and outs of the Xterra 705  in prospecting mode so I know what ya all are saying about the gain,I have never been one to detect with a detector set to full sensitivity the areas I usually hunted were pretty hot (mineralized) so you usually could not hunt with full sensitivity because the detector would become erratic and to chatty 

• Like 1

well I will tell you do not know my grandson, I will also tell you that he has been asking questions and he has been searching the net for any and all info he can read about the Simplex Plus and he is one smart kid with an extremely hi IQ he takes after his father in that regard which he dang sure never got it from me LOL, hell i did good to just pass high school LOL

when I started teaching him about the Xterra 705 I gave him a book that was written by a gentleman by the name of Randy Horton he went by Digger on several forums the book was free to download and print on the mine lab site it was called (understanding your Xterra) it was several pages long choked full of all kinds of info on all the Xterra line and a great informative book, like i said i printed a copy of that book for my grandson he went through it in 2-3 days when I handed him my 705 i did not have to tell him anything as far as setting the 705 up he did it all on his own he did ask me how I set it up after but that was it, when we started hunting I used the AT PRO which I absolutely cannot stand i let him use my 705 and I will tell you he is like those of us that pretty much knew we were in this great hobby to stay, i pretty much knew he was hooked like a fish and I never seen anyone so happy when he found his first penny which is what he got on his first dug target, it took him about 2-4 weeks and he started telling me what he thought the target would be and sure enough 7 out of 10 times he was rite I could not believe what I was seeing him do with the 705, it took me almost a year of detecting 3-5 days a week just to click with the 705 but my grandson it just came naturally to him he was 10 at that time, I can only imagine what he will do with these new detectors that are out now the couple of things he did not like on the 705 was the shaft and the 99 tones which I never used because it was like info overload to me and almost sounded like a concert in your ears

• Like 1