Nokta makro legend testing

Zakski

I’ve seen some of the recent testing videos of the new unit.But I’m disappointed that some testers are not doing realistic tests, what are your opinions?

Edited by Zakski

Welcome to the forum .. surely those with test units have been told what to test and what to show .. not until the machine is ready to get in the hands of the masses .. will we see exactly what it is ... it was suggested that the Legend would be available as a Christmas present during their grand opening ... right now the tests seems to be one of "how big is the market" and "what do we need to do to get to market"

• Like 2

• Administrators

Hi there Zakski, welcome to the forum.  Scott has it right in my opinion.  All tests shown are not the final version, still have an NDA attached to them, so color me uninterested for now.  When I get my hands on the final review version, then I will be satisfied.  Even then, it will likely have a few early updates rendering early videos obsolete.

Same thing with the Deus 2.   Almost all the videos out now are by people XP sent the detector to for free.  Some of them are geeking out so hard being their first free detector - their favoritism is making a spectacle out of it all.  Wait for the masses to get their hands on them to make an informed decision.

• Like 1

spacer.png

I agree with the other replies even though I did place a pre order for the Legend but I will tell you I am tired of seeing videos of air test on the legend which to me mean nothing,I want to see test done in real world hunting, test that are done on ground that is so mineralized that all detectors struggle on,test relic hunting in all different scenarios one might encounter while detecting, I know there are some out there that truly believe what they see in an air test but I am not one of those

here is why I do not buy into air test

When I first started detecting I purchased two detectors the AT PRO and a Xterra 705 when I performed my own air test the air testing showed that the ATP was deeper than the Xterra by quite a bit, but when I started detecting with both in my back yard in Ohio it was the complete opposite, the ATP i had purchased would not hit any of the targets in my yard if they were deeper then 5.5-6 inches the Xterra was hitting targets 10 inches plus, my wife literally hunted ahead of me with the ATP and I would pass over areas she had just went over and would get hits so I would have my wife come back we would swing the ATP over the target I was getting with the 705 the ATP would not make a peep on the target, I would re swing the 705 and it was still seeing the target so we would dig and sure enough it would be a silver dime or quarter or some target that the ATP could not and would not see, so air test mean absolutely nothing to me, and do not take me wrong I still have the ATP it is a decent machine it just cannot see anything deeper than 6 inches at least that was my experience with it, I laugh every time I see someone saying they dug a 10 inch dime using the ATP I would have to see it to believe it with my own eyes, yes there is always a chance my ATP was or is defective I purchased both the  Xterra and the ATP at the same time in 2010 which is when the ATP came out to market and the Xterra came out shortly before the ATP I believe

Edited by Djsmith1959
  • Like 2

I agree with you 1000% about the testing especially air testing. Too many variables unaccounted for and it does nothing but pisses off people once they spend a lot of money on it. I swing the AT Max and have found some deeper coins here in Wisconsin with it. Ok detector but I’m looking to move up into multi frequency. That’s why I started this post. 
I believe these testers if there going to be putting out videos show me something that will impress me to want to buy. Perhaps I should wait another year or so when I may have enough money to buy the Deus 2. Definitely impresses me but way out of my price range.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zakski said:

I agree with you 1000% about the testing especially air testing. Too many variables unaccounted for and it does nothing but pisses off people once they spend a lot of money on it. I swing the AT Max and have found some deeper coins here in Wisconsin with it. Ok detector but I’m looking to move up into multi frequency. That’s why I started this post. 
I believe these testers if there going to be putting out videos show me something that will impress me to want to buy. Perhaps I should wait another year or so when I may have enough money to buy the Deus 2. Definitely impresses me but way out of my price range.

I feel the DEUS 2 is being way over hyped as well until the legend and the deus2 get into peoples hands that actually hunt in real world scenarios i do not believe any of us will know what either of them are actually capable of you have to think about the Deus 2 those machines were handed out to people for free so those people that got them free are going to give high praises I believe, Calabashes reviews of the Deus 2 has came closer than any I have seen to real world then any of the others but he still got it free and just because the one he received seems to be working in his dirt does not mean it will work the same in some of the dirt I usually hunt which is extremely mineralized here in AZ

there are to many variables when detecting that can affect everything,  just like the one video I seen of calabashes where he had a bucket full of mineralized dirt i feel that was not a smart test to me the signals he was saying he would dig were scratchy as hell it sounded like a bad target would sound to me

the only reason I did the pre order on the Legend was because I have always wanted to try a Nokta/Macro detector, and when they said they were available for pre order i decided to pull the trigger, I debated for quite a few days about both the Legend and the DEUS 2  and that was after weighing all the things that were important to me the legend could very well end up being a dud I can live with that but it could turn out to be just as good as the Equinox 800 in the detecting department and maybe just maybe it could even be a little better the build quality that everyone has always talked about with the Nokta/Macro line I hope has continued on, but I took it as a given that it would the other thing that swayed me to the legend is the price you have to think if the legend turns out like we are all hoping for then that pro package is one heck of a deal where on the other hand how many are going to be kicking themselves if they spend three times the amount of the legend and then the Deus 2 ends up being something other then is being posted up, you purchase the Deus 2 with one coil and then add a second coil now you have pushed the cost of that Deus 2 to over 2K  I took that in to consideration when I chose the legend my age and health issues played a part also because if I were to spend 2 K on a detector and then it sat all the time I would be kicking my self so I just could not justify going with the Deus 2 and money was a non issue I seriously thought about pre ordering both and may vary well get the Deus 2 later but I will not until It has actually got in the hands of people, if the legend ends up sitting I will still kick myself just not as hard

Edited by Djsmith1959
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Zakski said:

So you guys think I’m being to hard expecting more realistic tests right now?

No not at all I believe it should be given a full workout in real world hunting scenarios extreme to mild  is my opinion 

I believe both the Legend and the deus 2 should be put through extreme to mild paces not test gardens

Edited by Djsmith1959
  • Like 2

I haven’t seen many of the deus 2 because it’s way outa my league to even consider. But the ones I have seen the tests were definitely better than what people are doing with the Legend.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zakski said:

I haven’t seen many of the deus 2 because it’s way outa my league to even consider. But the ones I have seen the tests were definitely better than what people are doing with the Legend.

I totally agree with you on that statement

• Like 2

• Administrators

Just my opinion...

If you are "expecting" better tests instead of "wanting" better tests - then maybe you are being a bit harsh on yourself.  I can see both sides of the coin however.

On the negative side - NoktaMakro and Deus both said product would be in people's hand in December, and that didn't happen.  So, there is always going to be some backlash in that situation.  Also, the early tests shown from NoktaMakro testers are all stock settings with limited menu being shown off, which means they are clearly under NDA.  I do not blame them...their hands are tied, and they are showing what they are allowed.  I am thankful to have that over nothing at all - but I do want more.  With XP, early videos are from Calabash who is an XP fanboy (no offense to him), or from Gary Blackwell who works for XP (again no offense to him).  Plus, Calabash is a relic hunter and mostly deals with iron tests - and he has cotton candy soil 15-inch dime type (no fault of his).  I want to see it in my harsh California soil and see how it does in trashy parks.  (That is no offense to Calabash...we are just totally different detectorists with totally different soils - hunting styles - agendas.)

On the positive side - The XP videos Calabash put up do show some interesting situations that would be difficult in the real world.  His testing is decent for relics hunters.  The NoktaMakro tests do show it hanging close or equal to the Equinox at stock settings.  That makes me think that as the updates happen, it just might equal or even best the Nox 800...for far less $.  

As far as air tests - I place a MUCH higher value on them than I do other YouTubers test gardens.  Air tests show off a best-case scenario for small and large objects, which can then be calculated according to my knowledge of my local soil conditions.  There may be a 60-70% drop off in some cases.  In my eyes, it is other people's soil tests on YouTube that don't matter.  Their soil is not my own, and not what I dig on a weekly basis.  I could care less if a guy gets 6 inches or 15 inches in his soil.  I can never compute his soil numbers into my soil numbers (percentage of drop off) without seeing an air-test first. 

Air test = best case scenario.  Soil test = general expectations scenario.  Crazy nail/trash tests we create = worst case scenario.

My gut feeling says the Legend is going to be fantastic for the price...and many Simplex user will eventually upgrade to it (which is a ton of users).  I also expect a few Garrett and First Texas guys to pick them up as well.  The price is right.

I expect the Deus 2 to sell well since the Deus 1 was already one of the best iron sifters ever made, super deep, super fast...now it comes in a true multi-freq detector.  Price is a turn off for sure...but many will buy it.  

• Like 3

spacer.png

I agree with your statement THGT about the different soil conditions and maybe some of my statements cane out wrong I do not know,the point I was making that none of us are going to know what to expect until we all have these machines in our hands on the dirt  we normally hunt

there are a lot of people believe in air test, I can just go by what I have seen in air test, and again for me I just do not put much stock in them because of the air test I did when I got the two machines i first purchased so any more I do not even bother with air test when I purchase a new detector, I do depth test comparisons but I only do those when I actually go out and detect simply because what I have seen with freshly buried coins and rings and different target do not have the same halo effect that you see in targets that have been buried for years  

• Like 2

Early days yet. Best not get too excited by things as they be. Let yourself be judge, Jury, and if need be 'executioner'. Over here in UK, some of the pre-sales simplex testers were little short of ridiculous : coo-ing and ahhh-ing and blowing warm air up NM's butt with their exhortations. Their air-testing, 'bucket of doom' depth tests were ridiculous. The 'proof of the pudding is in the tasting', as 'they' say. Let the seasoned vets guide you on YT, not the 'You Tubers', because most of them have little or nothing to gain, nor do they have egos that require regular 'polishing'. John does sound reviews, so, too, did Don Southern, until idiots with their diatribes seem to have made him reluctant to post reviews. Can't say as I blame him.

• Like 3

I left find mall because I got banned for stating my opinion on a thread just recently one of the persons came at me on an open forum and I said something I probably should not have but I did him and i got banned for two days when I was able two start posting again I went back on and told them they could ban me for life for all I care because I would not ever be back on line on find mall so I essentially banned myself.

I do not understand people at all the good people you can learn from get so bashed on and berated and they chose to leave and never post again, there are only a few good forums to learn about metal detecting and that's why I came here, I love THGTs approach to testing and teaching so here I am to stay LOL I love the fact he is a straight shooter and tells it like it is

• Like 3

I like to see the different tests comparing machines in the same place at the same time ...still they might not relate to actual hunting or hunting where I hunt ...there is something that can be learned from them. ... but with that, tests of a machine that we may or may not be getting confuses me as to why 

I think it's in bad form to say you've got something, when clearly it isn't ready yet. 

• Like 3

I think that Dilek, and NM didn't learn the lessons they were served by their Simplex marketing ploys ; re; coil issues at sale-point. Their aggressive promoting ploys put the 'galloping blinkers' on them, again. They came out of the traps like starving greyhounds, instead of going ahead steady, and refusing to allow punter pressure to direct them, and in so doing become too keen to please.  Forget the babbling horde of 'wanters' NM. That lot'll always be here. See them for their fickle , spoilt nature, and make the buggers wait in line, until you see fit to make firm datelines. Only release news of your products' sale dates when you are positive of that date. Stay in control; you have what they want, and if you do not make them wait in line they will star-burst and mob you, and make you over-reactive: aggressively defensive;  with their unpleasant diatribe: because you are giving them the ammo by your own hand. I absolutely agree with Scott and John on all counts. Let us hope that NM learn from this 'second strike at the bat', and refuse to jump the gun again in a hurry.

• Like 3

• Administrators

Lesson learned:  Engineering needs to be the one to make the call on a release date - not marketing/sales.  A Christmas Day announcement of "coming early 2022, blame covid" would have been a well-received gift.   

• Like 3

spacer.png