Question for ScoTTT2

Djsmith1959

Dj ... when I use the simplex 95% of the time it's in the water ... that sp22 is a perfect fit for that application ... I chose that coil over the sp24 (which I haven't tried) because of The HunterGT's video comparing the two, which showed the 8" getting a little more depth on the air test ... if you haven't seen that video I recommend it .... my water scoop is also 8" wide making target retrieval easier ... the stock 11" coil has fins and water hunting with it was a muscle building adventure ... the 8" swings through the water almost like it was on land ... since I receive the 8" coil it hasn't come off the machine and it has done real well for me ... I haven't found anywhere in the few times it was used on land where I wished I had another coil on the machine ... both in the water and on land it has found some real deep targets ... another thing is I bought the carbon fiber lower rod, which should be on every simplex, IMO. ... I'd recommend both. 

2 hours ago, ScoTTT2 said:

Dj ... when I use the simplex 95% of the time it's in the water ... that sp22 is a perfect fit for that application ... I chose that coil over the sp24 (which I haven't tried) because of The HunterGT's video comparing the two, which showed the 8" getting a little more depth on the air test ... if you haven't seen that video I recommend it .... my water scoop is also 8" wide making target retrieval easier ... the stock 11" coil has fins and water hunting with it was a muscle building adventure ... the 8" swings through the water almost like it was on land ... since I receive the 8" coil it hasn't come off the machine and it has done real well for me ... I haven't found anywhere in the few times it was used on land where I wished I had another coil on the machine ... both in the water and on land it has found some real deep targets ... another thing is I bought the carbon fiber lower rod, which should be on every simplex, IMO. ... I'd recommend both. 

Thanks for the reply back I don't think me and my grandson will ever be hunting in water because contrary to what most people think 7 foot fat men don't float, me and my son and now grandson are vary tall, my son is 6ft 8in tall and my grandson is rite at 6ft 5 in tall and he is just getting ready to turn 13 he is going to be up there with me before he is 15-16 years old I am just over 7 ft tall i just tell people I am just over 6 feet tall

That was the other thing I was going to ask will the simplex plus shaft extend to accommodate a tall person I have always had to have long shafts made for every detector I have purchased and then I have to fill them with expandable foam to try and alleviate the flex some it is quite a job to not get to much of the expanding foam inside the shaft and I have had a few spit open

thanks for the tip on the carbon fiber lower shaft

Edited by Djsmith1959

I'm just over 6' tall and don't extend the  shafts all the way, but I would think it would be a little short for a 7 footer (give me a measurement and I will check for sure) ... I have seen somewhere that an extended shaft is available for the simplex ... I'm not sure if it is from NM or an aftermarket shaft builder. ... one thing I'm thinking is the stock shaft would be hard swinging extended to its limit, I have referred to that lower shaft as the "noodle" mostly because of its performance in the water, but it performs similarly out of the water, just not as pronounced .... so at the very least a carbon fiber lower rod would be better.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ScoTTT2 said:

I'm just over 6' tall and don't extend the  shafts all the way, but I would think it would be a little short for a 7 footer (give me a measurement and I will check for sure) ... I have seen somewhere that an extended shaft is available for the simplex ... I'm not sure if it is from NM or an aftermarket shaft builder. ... one thing I'm thinking is the stock shaft would be hard swinging extended to its limit, I have referred to that lower shaft as the "noodle" mostly because of its performance in the water, but it performs similarly out of the water, just not as pronounced .... so at the very least a carbon fiber lower rod would be better.

I did order my grandson the simplex plus with the free 9.5 x 5 inch coil and also the longer middle shaft and a a carbon fiber shaft as well so hopefully that will get the length for him we shall see though

• Like 1