Other hobbies or pashions

Djsmith1959

Thought it would be nice to find out a little about other members so thought I would ask what other hobbies or passions do folks on THGT have

Me I also play Banjo and they are a passion for me I am into collecting them or was, I also build Gourd Banjos at one time I had 30 banjos then i sold off most of the heard and now I only have 5, one of those five is a first gourd banjo I built for myself, i also still have two regular open backs and a long neck fret less open back and one resonator banjo, and they make my wife smile which is hard to do but I mainly play for her

don't know if ya all can tell or not but most banjo players are considered to be nuts LOL I also love to fish my main passion rite now is dirt fishing though

enough about me

Thanks for reading

• Like 3

growing up and living in the fingerlakes of NY, fishing has always been a hobby .. pike fishing to be more specific, it was bass fishing until the "pros" found out how good of a fishery these lakes are and they ruined it, for the good of their sport .. in my younger years a lot of fishing was for food, pan fish, bull head, smelt, but now it is looking for the big toothy critters that pull on the drag for a bit.

I also am a writer ... I write poetry mostly and have a few published pieces. .. that reverts back to one of the main reasons I will never be on FB again. I used to write at least one poem a day and put it on FB...this was just an exercise in writing, none were meant to be good, just jotting down a thought or observation .. mostly whimsical .. practicing rhyme or rhythm or something other .. this helped with the more involved stuff I was writing (none of which were ever posted for free, anywhere) .. but many people on FB followed them and liked them .. one day someone I didn't know started telling me that what I wrote was wrong and how could I say such a thing, I didn't know this person and the writing wasn't stating anything important, real or political, but they sure were offended (or crazy) .. I left FB that day and vowed never to return.

in the 80s I had a band .. a friend of mine was a great guitar player, he along with myself wrote many songs, a few were real good, most were not, but fun to play .. we had an 8 track recorder and would enlist a few of the better musicians around to help record those songs .. we had a few good tapes (that I wish I still had) .. he flipped his car and was killed and that ended the band .. still, some of the time when I'm writing poems there is a tune that comes along with the words.. I have enough new songs for a good tape now, though not the heavy rock and roll I was writing in the 80s .. more so Americana folky kind of stuff. .. I also have a collection of completed poems which are quite complex and compelling, some making a statement, others telling stories .. not as demanding and precise as the Bard, but not the crazy ramblings of Poe either. .. one day I hope to compile them and publish a book.

Another thing that has taken a lot of my time is history .. I spend an awful lot of time looking into and learning the histories of places close by .. this put the thought of metal detecting in my head .. it is good to know more about the history of a piece of land than the owner does, especially if you are asking permission.

Edited by ScoTTT2
  • Like 3

• Administrators

I am a huge PC gamer.  I play almost every evening before bedtime.  I love it and will never stop - no matter if I am looked at as childish or whatever.  Spent CTX3030 type money on my setup and the newness has not worn off after 1.5 years with this build.  It is my 5th homemade gaming PC build.  Both of my kids also have gaming PC's.

AMD 3900X 12 core processor - 32GB Corsair 3200 memory - RTX3060 - 4TB of SSD space - 3TB of HDD space.  I run it all connected to 3 monitors.  A 1080P for gaming - a 3440x1440 ultrawide for editing and games - 4K TV for movies.  

I also am an amateur audiophile.  I love collecting mid to high end headphones.  Phillips X2HR - SHP9500 - Tin T2...etc. (plus 10 more at least)  I run them through a Creative G5 headphone AMP.  

Last but not least - I am into mono and poly synthesizers.  Have a Novation Mininova and a Behringer TD-3 that I mess around with.  Connect them both to a Novation Circuit Tracks.  I am not a musician or anything...just like to dabble.  Taking piano lessons as well as of late.  

• Like 3

spacer.png

Me, I'm a 60's hilly-billy boy from Kernow ( Cornwall U.K ), so 'running dogs, rifles, fast bikes and hot females were my penchant. Got my first .22 rf at 11 (1971) BSA LR iron-sights, and a hand-full of hollows to get aquainted. After that I was given twenty five rounds a day. Moved through the calibres to .243. .243 is a flat shooter. Excellent shot placement is key: massive calibre isn't, so that old .22 rf larned  me well.  Got to a certain age and simply had enough of killing, even though no meat ever went to waste. I believe too much killing taints a man, and Karma doesn't take kindly to it, either.. Hunted with long-dogs and lurchers for almost forty years, too: day-time and dark.. Had a passion for motor-bikes that lasted ten or twelve years from '77. Started out on a Suzuki TS 185 Trail, finished on a Kwak 1,0000. Lost part of my left knee on that TS 185. Took up metal detecting when I got too crocked to hunt with my dogs. These days, hunting for history with a 75 and G2+ keeps me out-doors.... Always had a passion for reading, especially military history, from the Mongol Khans to killing that Hells spawn Bin Laden. Always had a passion for air-power ( RNAS Culdrose on 'door-step', in Kernow).  Ever since I was told ( again in '71), that the "boohm BOOHM" noises, we all heard regularly came from the SR71. I was intrigued so I checked it out, and after that I was hooked. I collect 1/72 die-cast model fighters, from Spitfire/Messershmitt, to F4G's/ F15/16/22/35.... Pride of place is my 1/72 Century Wings SR71 Blackbird. There's a post somewhere on the forum with some of my gold Iron Age coins etc..that I've started to collect... I sold off a lot of quality medieval silvers etc, and with the proceeds I have started to collect ancient British gold coins ( V expensive for good 'crisp' ones! ), so that 'hobby' is a slow-burner. I'm 6'3" tall, with white straight hair an' black curly teeth.... jokin' about hair and teeth....the rest is 'History'...

• Like 3