Sand Scoops

Djsmith1959

Because of being hospitalized with Covid I have been taking short walks to tot lots and detecting for a bit, but I get so winded when I locate a target and get down on my knees to retrieve the target it is a crap shoot as to whether I make it back to my feet and once back to my feet it takes me 10-15 minuets to catch my breath so I was thinking about picking up a sand scoop to make the retrieval of the targets easier 

I was sitting here wandering if anyone else has used a sand scoop in tot lot sand boxes

Thanks for reading

• Like 1

the tot lots around here have gone away from sand ...they use either wood chips or ground up tires ... a scoop is worthless for digging in both of those fillings ... but if you are hunting in sand filled tot lots there would be no reason it wouldn't work just fine

• Like 1

• Administrators

I have not - but there are some smaller scoops that would work well...about the size of a large soup can.  I probably would not take a larger beach scoop, but that is just me, to each their own.  

• Like 1

spacer.png

thanks for the replies I found one that is about 4 inches in diameter so I think I will order one of those

ScoTTT2 the sand boxes I have been to in the neighbor hood I am currently living are all filled with sand

I have only been once so far and had it not been for a couple of young kids that were playing basketball  on the court next to the sand box coming over and helping me up I don't know what I would have done, after they assisted me to my feet they picked my stuff up and helped me over to a picnic bench that was close by and sat there while I was trying to catch my breath they talked to me about metal detecting they were very curious,I told them I had a few detectors that I am not using and would be happy to let them detect with me if they wanted to they both said that would be great, there is like 5 huge sand boxes close to where I am currently living that is like 50-75 yards from my house and I have never seen anyone detecting them ever, when those kids first started approaching me my first thought was here we go I cant get up and they are going to grab my stuff and run or worse yet hit me in the head and run but my thoughts were unfounded and it just proved to me there are still some good kids out there they were about 14-15 years old really well mannered kids  which surprised me because you just don't see that much in this day and time 

• Like 1