clad is rad challenge

ScoTTT2

Who is up for a challenge?...almost midway through March...and most of the ground is opening up, here in NY....I was thinking that a little monthly challenge was in order for 2021...so from April until October...on the last day of each month, everyone post their total clad digs for that month (dollar value)...at the end we'll have a 7 month total for "Clad Master of 2021"...it would have to be based on honesty and only for bragging rights...though there may be a trophy involved, at the end, if there is enough takers to make it worth getting one made....the most clad for each month and the most for the year, starting April 1 and ending October 31...posted on or before midnight of the last day of each month....any takers?

• Administrators

Great idea Scott. I'm in to whoop your butts. I'll mention it on the next stream (if I remember) and post it in the Facebook group as well....but let them know it is only for the forum and they must register here to post and participate in the contest.

I will give a prize to the grand champion come October.

spacer.png

• Administrators

Any machine is fine...all skill levels allowed. No zincs pennies allowed in count...1959 to 1981 pennies only.

No war nickels since those are silver. No buff or Vs. No silver dimes or quarters. Has to be 64 and later.

Errors - mints marks - specials dates will not equal extra credit. 1 coin = 1 point across the board.

Just starting guidelines...can always tweak more like you said. Plenty of time still. Any overseas participants that want to join...we will have to figure out their currency standards. Should not be terribly difficult.

spacer.png

I like that idea.....1 coin = 1 point....I was thinking face value but I like this better....

dollar coin....non-silver

half dollar ....non-silver

quarter....non-silver

dime....non-silver

nickle...jefferson, war years excluded

memorial penny...1959 until 1982

....all equal 1 point

coins dug only count for the month they were dug.

each month starts with a clean slate and monthly totals will be added together November 1st to determine the grand champion

Sounds good. As I said in the Facebook page, maybe a prize for that most '77s.

Being in Australia, I am not sure how I would equate the clad cons to my local currency. Your 59 to 81 crosses our change from pence to cents. I reckon if the judges award me 1 point for every ring pull, I might stand a chance!

I was thinking that for this challenge to be fair we can describe clad as modern coins still in use or coins you can or presently take to the store and buy something with.....a quick look at the Australian coins....5c, 10c, 20c, 50c, 1 dollar and 2 dollar would all be worth 1 point from 1966 to present....since you no longer use 1 and 2 cent coins they would not count.....the reasoning behind the 1 cent US after 1982(zincons) not being used is that almost as soon as they hit the ground they have deteriorated into something that is not a coin...at least that is my idea of it....and before 1959 they were wheat back cents and somewhat collectable.

I was also thinking that dug coins will only count if dug in the country they were minted in, even if they would count otherwise ....ie, canadian coins would not count if dug in the US and vice versa .

• Administrators

Sounds good to me. Here is a non-official list we have so far.

No cheating - for the love of God this is a fun contest. Do not be a scumbag loser and ruin it for others with lies. Any confirmed (or very highly suspected) cheats will be removed from the contest - and likely the forum as well. No issues with trying hard, or people who dominate due to hard work - just don't lie and cheat about it. /rant

No zincs - corrosion issue - and they just plain suck

No foreign coins - must be from diggers country

No "collectible" coins

No silver or gold coins

No last gen design overhauls - Example: wheat pennies - IHPs - Buffs - V nickels.

No bonus points for error coins or special dates

1 coin = 1 point

Any detector can be used at any location

Coin must be dug - or a surface find while metal detecting.

To elaborate:

I realize wheat pennies may still spend...but for the sake of this contest they are deemed collectible and a last gen overhaul. If unsure about a coin - post the coin from your country and we can discuss.

For this contest - "clad" = any coin you would easily spend or place into a vending machine without 2nd thought.

Due to some foreign coins being high face value - 1 coin = 1 point.

There will be no bonus coins or bonus points of any sort (sorry you 1977 lovers).

I will sticky post these rules once we fine tune them and make the official thread closer to the 1st. I won't be promoting the contest on YouTube - but any participants who trickle in from my intro portions of my videos are welcome to participate. It will be open to all countries.

Feel free to mention what I missed - or add any other ideas. Still plenty of time.

spacer.png

Good Rant HunterGT....this is a just for-fun challenge....a friendly competition between forum members...it counts on the members being honest.

challenge starts April 1 and ends October 31, 2021

monthly counts end the last day of the month

monthly champ will be determined the 1st day of the next month,

ie; Aprils champ will be determined May 1st, etc.

monthly totals will be added together November 1st to determine a "grand 'clad is rad' champion"

dug coins only count in the month they were dug

you do not have to be in the challenge from the start...forum members can enter anytime along the way...but only with coins dug from the month they enter the challenge...then every month afterwards.

This is shaping up quite nicely, and, sounds like a fun challenge. I'm actually trying to think of places to go as clad coins have always been an annoyance in my hunting for older stuff. Being retired, in theory I should be able to cover a lot of ground. But in reality my beat up sack of bones won't let me.

Are you going to do a weekly count or just the monthly count? I gotta start doing some pushups....lol

• Administrators

I will be giving away a Wilcox 11 or 14 inch trowel for the monthly winners - and a Vanquish 340 to the grand prize winner. So there is something to push yourself for. 👍 I just want it to be as fair as possible.

Also to note - if I win - I am buying myself the prize. LOL

Figure we do counts as they come in - I can edit the master post with participants and totals on a daily basis.

I will add those other rules/ideas in a post tomorrow and keep them updated.

spacer.png

that is great HunterGT....did I hear you say the other night that you had an embrodery machine?...how about a one off "THGT clad is rad grandmaster 2021" hat...I will foot the bill on that one.

• Administrators

that is great HunterGT....did I hear you say the other night that you had an embrodery machine?...how about a one off "THGT clad is rad grandmaster 2021" hat...I will foot the bill on that one.

Yessir - a fancy $1500 machine I have no business owning lol. Well beyond my paygrade. I am figuring it out each run however. I can probably do something rad with it for the giveaway.

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
Nice...I will not be getting out until Wednesday after Easter. I will be posting my days total then. I hunt 8 times a month...Wednesdays and Sundays usually...but might have to increase that to 10-12 lol.

spacer.png