Patriot gets a shot.

muddydogz

Took the patriot out for a spin today as the weather in Ohio is playing nice for now.

It's old faithful in plowed ground. 2 lc, one toasted the other pretty decent. A few flat buttons and a pile of brass and lead Heartbreakers. IMG_20210313_183504.thumb.jpg.3029c6ec133a212318711ab7b33a83d8.jpg

nice start to the new year...been pretty nic in NY too and the ground is almost completely thawed out....so far a US large cent has been a no find for me....but I have dug canadian largies....that is my goal for the year a US large cent and any coin from the 1700s....I did dig what maybe a holed 1 reale, it is the right size and silver....but it is so wiped you cant make a positive ID

Thanks Scott, yes most of the Spanish coins I've been lucky enough to find are pretty worn. I hunt mostly farm fields till they get planted here. I don't find a lot of coins but when I do they're mostly older. My brother found our oldest dated coin here, 1746 half reale in beautiful shape. Wouldn't sting so bad but he found it right where I'd walked lol. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
During the period that the spanish coins were used many different coinage was used, french, english, dutch, german, etc.....I always wounder why so many more spanish coins (silvers) are found here compared to the others

• Administrators

I always wounder why so many more spanish coins (silvers) are found here compared to the others

Spanish Empire was huge over here - one of the largest ever. They controlled basically everything on the west coast of South America - and the entire mid-west and west coast of the United States. They were placing missions along the west coast here in California from late 1770 to 1833. They owned Cuba - Guam - Philippines until like 1890 when we went to war with them. They knew they could not straight up invade France/Portugal/Great Britain....so they sailed over here and staked huge claims of land...and searched all over it for the city of gold. Probably more Reales here than in Spain.

spacer.png

There must be lots of hoards of Spanish silvers buried in locations that were jump- off points for Spanish military incursions against indigenous peoples, or Mexican/French minor territorial campaigns. Along the Texas border-line, where Spanish/Mexic territories came into direct contact with Comancheria, huge amounts of Spanish coinage must certainly lie buried? The Comanche held up Spanish and Mexican advancement for two centuries or more, mind you, such vast expanses of land will never be hunted out, not even with a metal detecting army!!!

• Administrators

I would think so. Most soldiers buried there valuables before going into battle. Trust with a friend was likely in short supply back then. For every guy that did not come back, there is likely a stash somewhere.

Gold prospectors in the 1800's were the same way. They would often bury gold they found during the day, and only cash in weekly or even monthly. Claim jumpers and bandits were a real threat...many guys were shot and killed with no gold ever found by the bad guy. Probably more than a few trees and rocks in gold country have buried gold jars next to them.

spacer.png