So, what do you hunt for?

Just curious as to what you hunt for when you get out there swinging...there are so many on the youtube searching for the old/silver coins, some are relic hunters, some are beach hunters searching out the gold rings, some searching out the civil war stuff, etc.

I am usually looking for locations that will produce rings...but I am far from the beaches of the Atlantic...still, along with that, I dig the clad...clad has bought all my metal detecting gear and a $25 day with no rings is a good one.....I do sometimes stumble across a site with a bunch of old coins, which is cool and I'm getting a pretty good collection going....but I concider myself a ring hunter 1st.....and I dig every solid repeatable tone I swing over.

Do any of you hunt meteorites?....cashes/lost treasure?...raw gold?....all of which need a lot of upfront work done first, before you ever swing a coil...if you want to be successful.

So, if you could best describe yourself as what it is you hunt (as a metal detectorist) what would it be?

No beaches anywhere near me or I'd be all over that. I guess I'd fit in more the relic category. I like the old buttons, buckles, bells. Pretty much anything colonial. If I find a few old coins in the path I'm all the happier.

Used to be a strictly grass hunter with the cz and explorers for the older deeper coins so I'd pass up the clad. Didn't hunt for jewelry much because of all the aluminum trash.

Starting tomorrow though, ima gonna dig some rad clad.

• Administrators

Coin shooter for me...for sure that is my passion. I love old coppers and silvers, I will obviously take any rings I finds, but only place myself in "jewelry mode" mentally when at the beach or lake. And even then I only hunt the full spectrum of targets for maybe 2-3 hours before I utilize notch or disc and cherry pick the copper/silver range.

Nugget shooting would be my #2 passion...I do enjoy it quite a bit. But it is hard work and often a person gets skunked before finding even the smallest nugget. I consider it the hardest type of detecting since it is usually dry, hot desert backcountry with snakes, predators, and pokey bushes around.

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...
I’m just an all around relic hunter I guess. I’m always on a farm somewhere, weather it be in a grassy pasture or back in the woods. I enjoy finding anything old that was part of someone’s life. Something that had some meaning to them you know. Buttons,bells, tools, coins...whatever it may be. I love getting outdoors in the somewhat wilderness anyways, then having a metal detector and actually finding stuff is just a huge bonus!

Coins. However, as you'll know, where there are coins there are also artefacts to a greater or lesser extent. What type depend on where I hunt. Coins by design seem to suffer rather less from the ravages of the plough. or the dreaded rotovator. Medieval and roman artefacts get hammered by such implements. I recently whanged an assortment of chopped Roman fibulae that I'd collected over time. Bit like holding on to marble shards. I detest beach hunting.