T2 all metal

ScoTTT2

I am still a beginner metal detectorist, just starting my third year. I have totally been enjoying the all metal mode of the T2se. Just guessing here, but the things that make any metal detector great must be, or should be, compared to this "old tech" mode of the T2. It took me quite a few hours to understand just what was going on under the coil with all the zips, zaps, pongs and other sounds that bombard the ears when hunting in all metal with the T2. It is the barks that tell of a good signal. I'm really not sure how else to describe the sound, other than a bark. When the T2 barks, it is over a good signal 95% of the time. The other 5% is poptops and the like. Canslaw and most other trash items give a scratchy, broken sound, most times. Iron sounds almost backwards. This bark also gets louder or softer depending on depth. A 10 inch dime still barks, only not as loud as a 6 inch dime.

There are some places where there is to much trash to hunt effectively without switching to the discrimination side, but a smaller coil helps in these places. There also are many more places where the discrimination setting will block signals, (I'm guessing that is somewhat a masking thing), that the all metal allows the target to bark its way through. I have been running with the all metal mode side set at around 80 (more or less depending on soil conditions) with the hum level just above 0, that, and a ground balance is all that is needed to run the T2. I am not sure just how deep this detector goes in all metal mode, but it is deeper than I want to dig in most places and as deep, or deeper than, the detectors the guys I hunt with use or at least deeper than the way they have them set up, and this isn't counting the boost process setting, which goes even deeper.

Anyway, give me something as efficient and simple as the T2, as I'm not sure I need anything else. And to use the words of 'Rebel Digger'..."It's American Muscle, baby."

As John so rightly says, "Metal detecting is not rocket science", or even particle physics. His analogy of teaching an employee the basics, and mid-point theory of a job oughtn't to take more than a few months to convert from theory to adept 'hands-on' level. If an employee took longer than that then they would be of scant use to him. I totally agree. Your third year sees you quite obviously mastering a side to metal detecting that those with many more years of detector ownership shun, sometimes with the most inane, un-founded excuses for doing so. You have bettered such self-professed 'Experts' in just over two years Scott. That, is cool man, and respect to you! All Metal, employed in it's correct domain, is key to un-locking the more ancient items. If I'd been hunting in the most open form of disc that my 75 has, I would never have found my B A axe head. It's only 5" long by2 1/2-3" wide. I dug it at just shy of 15" in dry soil in A M, the signal was, as you say, a clear squeal-bark. The T2 is a wicked tool, I have it's 'Cousin', and it sure is , " American Muscle". U.S MD's are my 'thang'. Edited by Tim Kernowek 59

Thanks for the kind words Tim....believe me, my first year I almost never ran in all metal or the dp tones settings, for that matter....it was just to much ear bombardment for me....but now that is second nature and if it gets to much I just down the sensitivity until it is more comfortable....I'd love to know the difference in depth between the discrim side and the all metal side....it is a lot.....and I will consider myself beyond a beginner when I can figure out those slight threshold breaks way down there and/or master the CL setting....I hear there are people using that to locate small items also, not just the cashes it was intended for.

The initial outings with a performance machine can definitely be daunting for sure scott. Thankfully, First Texas don't go overboard with multi-myriad buttons, bells and whistles, flutes and warblers: they don't need too, so they don't do 'add-ons' that aren't of much significant value..... If one suffers from either chronic pitch-level hearing difficulties, or excessive compulsive tinkering anxiety dilemmas, First Texas metal detectors are not going be 'The Ones For You'...., Such excesses bore me, personally . Easy to see digital interface ,user-friendly controls, with easy to assimilate functionality and the accuracy of an un-compressed (wide band), discrimination of ferrous recognition range, with progressive ( wide band) gain control and great tone modulation are assets that First Texas excel at designing and manufacturing. Depth is as depth goes, bearing in mind that great depth is not the be all, far from it in Fact. That being said, the All Metal mode operates with out the clutches or 'mists' of filtering systems employed in the discrimination modes; the machine is operating 'Wide Open'. In mildly mineralised soils, tiny coins can be had at depths of 12" s plus with ease in All Metal (depending on the coin/s). Over here, a very respected, sadly gone now, truly Great Detectorist used to go down to London once a year to get best prices on his Celtic gold staters, the vast majority of which were found at depths WAY beyond any discrimination levels, no matter how slight the discrimination employed. He hunted a lot with a Tejon, in All Metal; using needle-point ground-balance, with the very faintest of threshold, listening all the while for those, tiny, smooth on-off target fluctuations. Literally, a Miniscule whispering two-way, 360 degree "wi-wu" break in modulation. The concentration levels of hunting in clean ground like this in all metal, are mentally exhausting in extremis, but profitable if things go good. All Metal is NOT for the faint-hearted, or the ' got all the gear......little idea' types. Ten or twenty minute breaks every hour are Essential for success ( imo). A celtic gold quarter stater is about the size of a garden pea. Go low and slow, listen for those lovely tiny, smooth, faint fluctuations in audio modulation, and may patience and ultimate success be with you Scott... Anothet 'Tim Epic'!!! Hope it is of help. :)

Those ten minute breaks, though still employed, are getting further and farther in between, as my brain syncs to the detector. I think my brain always has all that commotion going on just with different sounds. This brings me to my headphones, grey ghost ultimate platinum, I went through three pairs of lesser headphones before I bought these. I wish I knew. Those other headphones would have been just as good, but a lot cheaper, if they were made with a coat hanger and two plastic cups.

I hear those threshold breaks, the ones where nothing else happens on the detector and the pinpoint function has a hard time finding the source, if it does at all. I will give the 360 a try at the park in town (see my experimental park post) as I believe I have limited the targets there that the machine has a clue as to what they are. I surely am past the discrim mode depth there. I do find things there every once in a while, but they are getting scarce. The last three time out in that park with one coin for the show.

Yep, we all differ in our requirements, which is healthy I think. However after 12 plus hours of hunting in AM, with the hugely increased levels of focus required, for me, I can say that after about four hours of continuous swinging, stopping only for the odd pee, I start becoming jaded. ( poor sad old git ;) ) I found that if I conditioned myself to approximately twenty minutes 'down time' my concentration levels improved. On one U.K Bank Holiday weekend I stubbornly did two 12 hour stints, hunting in AM. On the second day I had my son come pick me up as my concentration and 'focus' levels had been stretched tighter than a new brides nightie. I didn't feel safe to drive, and I rested up all of Monday hence the breaks ever after......Incidently, my best/oldest find, that weekend, was a surface 'eyes' find: a Neolithic ( 10,000-4,500 BC ), leaf shaped,flint artefact, perhaps a scraper? I will get it posted up as soon as I can.....regarding your choice of headphones Scott, I think that those Grey Ghosts will serve you well. Top quality 'fully enclosed ear' cup, corded headphones are essential for AM hunting I think. I still use a battered set of old Pentechnic Pros, that I bought years ago, for use with my old U.K spec Tejon. Soon, I shall retire them, so if you don't mind Scott, I would be 'all ears' to hear your opinions of your Grey Ghosts, if that is cool. I firmly believe that spending good money (wisely) on headphones (or anything really) is a pre-requisite. Your opinion will be valued. I would appreciate Johns take, and the other forum members views also. Perhaps it may be time to open a ' elite level, corded head-phones topic?..... The way that you persist with your park hunting is commendable Scott, I think, esp: in the AM mode !.. I admire tenacity and drive. Even we suffer many blank 'finds' days or nights, the experience negates those lack of finds in my op. Experience can only be earned, obviously. Quitters gain SFA. Have a great weekend! :)

There will come a day where, as I am with everything else I enjoy doing, I will become as proficient as one can be. Still, that is a ways off. I am lucky to be in a area where you really don't need to be that good at metal detecting to find things of value. That brings me to my other post asking of those who hunt meteorites, caches, or raw gold...one could luckily stumble across such finds....but the ones who do this with consistent results know their stuff and spend much more time in the books and searching the interweb, than they do with a coil to the soil. One day I will be amidst their ranks.

I will start another thread about headphones and see where that takes us.

The chances of finding good gold in U.K is as remote to the vast majority of us Brits as finding a 'trace' of the truth in a politicians pre-election promise : any politicians promises come to that! The Crown holds the rights to mineral exploration. It must be amazing to live in U.S gold country. I cannot comprehend the thrill of finding even the smallest gold nugget. A very close friend, 'brother from another mother', found a meteorite when I was with him. It was years ago. We decided to join a metal detecting club, 40 miles away, and Paul found it on a meet we attended: size of a decent Cadburys Creme Egg, no less! He sent it to Ireland to have it assessed-analysed. He was offered £1,500 for it. He still has it. We no longer 'club hunt'. I totally agree with you regarding proficiency. Be as good as you are able to be, and be content. Self-professed, self-indulgent 'experts' are bores, with over-inflated egos, that are commonly to be found trailing a gaggle of gob-shite sycophants in their wake. One of the TRUE greats of U.K metal detecting, was a quiet, thoughtful, un-pretencious man, who would always offer up his softly spoken wisdom, if approached in a like-wise quiet manner. He found two very rare 'Norfolk Wolf' ( Iceni tribe ) gold Celtic staters, amongst very many other gold staters in his lifetime. The Celts were 'Horse People'. Most of their staters have horses depicted on them. 'Wolf' staters are therefore unique. He was a prolific All Metal hunter, as terrains dictated. Looking forward to a headphones topic!