the state is back in town

Last year NY state gave to the town a new sidewalk. I'm guessing it was a little more than 1/2 a mile of new concrete. The tear out lasted a bit more than a week. I detected the whole thing and was kind of disappointed on the finds (I was hoping for more). I did manage to pull out a few IHPs and wheaties, a few mercs and rosies, and a few buffalos and V nickels, plus some modern change, I thought there would be a lot more hiding under that old walkway.

One guy approached me and asked what I was finding. He said he had a nokta impact and had also detected the tear out. He said he found a morgan dollar and a $1 gold coin. I have no reason not to believe him, but I take that with a grain of salt. I have yet to see him out detecting anywhere.

Yesterday on my way out of town I noticed the state was back. They had started at the end farthest away from my house. They are leveling the grass strip between the sidewalk and the road. This is removing up to a foot or so of dirt all along the new walkway.

When the county was formed in the mid 1700s, this was wilderness. In 1792 the first man came to look for a place for the seat of the county. He found this place. He cleared the center of town, built a couple large log cabins to become an inn and his office. Then he built two roads. One from this clearing, north to another, running east and west. It is this east/west road where the state is now working. About 1800 there were quite a few men working this newly formed town and by 1820 it was well established and the seat of the county. It remains so to this day. Anything and everything from 1700 to 2021 could be waiting.

• Administrators

Sounds like a fantastic spot. I have only detected one tear out ever in Colorado - along a very old park. Was skunked. Every story I have seen makes them seem awesome though. I can only imagine what lies in wait under that concrete jungle around New York. Best of luck out there.

As far as the gold coin guy...I am always a skeptic when I hear that. Not saying he lied...just a skeptic. I just smile and say awesome usually. Other guys break out their cell phones and show me 3-4-5 pics of it right there...those guys I usually believe up front. My human nature is sarcasm and skepticism lol

spacer.png

Where I live in NY is not NYC...the city is a good five hours east of me, and the closest thing to a city is over an hour in any direction. Where I'm at is large hills with large tracts of timber, the foot hills of the Allegany Mts. The population here is 3500 more or less and the next nearest town is five to eight miles through the countryside. It is beautiful here.

I wonder when that guy told me a silver dollar and a one dollar gold coin....no silver dimes, quarters, or any other coins in the scale of the impact. Guessing that it is similar to the T2's scale....he would have dug a 95 and a 64 and nothing hit in-between. Kind of far fetched, but I still have no other reason not to believe him or proof it didn't happen....it could have...both those coins surely were part of the lives of those who lived here then.

20210409-193458.jpg

well the state is about half way through the stretch they are digging out...I detected that half today...two silvers for the whole length...one silver 1949 rosie...one fas925 ring...one wheaties 1957D....and a little clad for the jar.....lots and lots of zincolns and trash.

Really cool to read up on the history surroundig the State in which you are at Scott. For me, all history is fascinating, to a large extent. English Language/Literature, European and World History were my best subjects at school from 1971 till 1977. U.S pioneering history is so interesting. Tough people, facing tough choices, in tough eras, adfapting, surviving, and eventually re-modelling themselves to suit their 'New World,' speaks volumes for collective drive and tenacity in the face of, sometimes unsurmountable, adversity. Natural selection, if you will. Little wonder then that the U.S has such a formidable military. Thank you for the knowledge.

The history here in Bath is quite unique. An hour or two east the history goes back another 150 years. An hour or two south, the same. This town is west of the pre-emption line, which was a line dividing NY from MA. We were actually in Massachusetts for a good part of the history of settlement before the town was formed. MA was divided in two by NY. I am sitting where it was once called Western Massachusetts. Another thing here is the rivers, they all flow south east to the Chesapeake Bay, all but one which flows north. Before the railroads took over these rivers took all the lumber and produce and other good to be sold in Baltimore. This was done by the way of arks. The arks were crudely made but very functional, some over 80 feet in length. The lumber the arks were made of was also sold, so a guy would spend the summer and winter months building an ark which others would commission to take their goods along to market. They would then wait for the snow melt and rains to swell the rivers so they could navigate down to Baltimore. They would sell everything and walk back. This was done in many of the small towns along the rivers near here. Many houses in Baltimore were built from the white pine cut here and made into an ark. This was white pine and hemlock territory, much sought after for building back in the day.

20210415-203418-2.jpg

Got out a bit and hit some of the rest of the roadside dug by the state...I should have brought a smaller coil...will do that tomorrow, weather permitting....but had a good hunt and knocked one of my two goals for the year off the bucket list...an 1834 large cent (my first American Largie and my oldest coin to date) and it's a nice one..in 1834 this town was 42 years old...also 2 wheaties a 1956 and a 1931...the 31 was needed for my book...I also found a carwash token and an old sterling ring with IAH on the top...not sure what that is, guessing someone's initials...and a bit of clad for the jar.....It was a muddy mess and so uneven that the stock coil couldn't go flat along the ground in most places...the 5 inch coil will be on the T2 tomorrow.

I have been getting at least one piece of silver every time I go out this year.

**update** the IHA rings were given out in a ceremony at churches during the early 1950s...IAH = I Am His...meaning Christ.

• Administrators
Great job on the large cent. Still on my bucket list and pretty rare here in California, Although my buddy Greg V has found a handful of them near Los Angeles. Good luck with that 5in coil!

spacer.png

20210417-193010.jpg

Put a few hours in today and caught up to all the state has done so far, except for one area that the guy who owns the house behind the curb strip kicked me out of. Ended today with some silver and gold. A 1956 Washington quarter a 1943 mercury dime, 7 wheaties, one no date, a 1913, 1944. 1946, 1950, 1951, and a 1957D, a silver plated ring that has seen better days and a 10K charm with a date on the ring 7-8-22, and some clad for the jar.

All in all not to bad of a three hunt dig .. but still I was expecting a bit more from this strip. I'm guessing it was a 1/2 mile long by 20 feet wide, along the main street into town.

• Administrators

but still I was expecting a bit more from this strip.

I was too from the strip I hunted. I think that a few others online have come away great and made it seem like they would all be that way.

I think you did great personally...those items would have been lost forever if not for you.

spacer.png

yea I guess those youtube videos where they guys are pulling silvers every swing isn't the norm...and really to think about the total area I covered...it was better than most places size for size.

well the state finished the whole length .. I had only two little sections left to hit and managed to pull a 1888 IHP .. also yesterday, on our way out of town to see the granddaughter, I notice another stretch of sidewalk being removed .. they have it marked off for a few hundred yards, but only removed about a ten foot section

.. this section is on the major road that leads north and into the fingerlakes .. it is across the road from a place, now developed, that was once called 'Gallows Hill' .. famed for an execution of a man, who was later found to be innocent of the crime .. it seems that a lack of a fair trial and his fate was pre-destined as everything and anything that could be thought up about this man was written in the newspapers .. his hanging was witnessed by over 10k people .. and was quite the affair for this small town in its early years ..1798 ..the population of the town was less than 100 people total at that time .. many came by stagecoach and horse and buggy from far away, (many days ride), just to see the ending of a story they had been following in the papers of the times.

• Administrators
Bonkers story there...poor guy. I can only imagine how many people met a wrongful death due to lack of DNA testing and basically "believing the other guy". Nice score on the IHP!

spacer.png

• 3 weeks later...
got to hunt the new tear out and it was a bust .. one IHP 1887, that was so bubbly it almost went in the garbage bag as it looked like a green zincoln .. 4 wheaties '36, '39. '47, and '49 .. also found a silver quarter which turned out to be an aluminum token .. a five cent play money, an old button, and a very small amount of clad .. the side walk they tore out had a base layer of something that really set the machine beeping .. it wouldn't disc out even at 51 .. so it was hard to pull what signals I dug from all the racket, even running the T2 at 50/51/4tone and quick grabbed a lot .. thought maybe something was wrong with the coil, but as soon as I got to the little park, which has good soil, and I did a few passes, it was quiet .. there were some deep hits, over the 12 inch mark, but the ground was so hard that there was no way to dig them. .. I did two passes, one up, one back ..by the time I got to the car there were two others detecting there .. I hope they find the gold coin. .. come to find out the sidewalk they tore out was only 15 years old and was hit buy all the old timers before it was put in .. go figure.