TheHunterGT Forums

My evolution with MD headphones

ScoTTT2

When I began MDing I started with the T2+. It came as a packaged, bundled with a tekpoint pinpointer and a hand digger. The company I bought it from also added to the bundle, for free, everything else one would need to start detecting. Amongst those items were a very cheap set of wired headphones. I thought I made a great buy.

Two weeks into my detecting, the headphones just quit, mid-hunt. I called the company, they told me they were sorry and would ship out another pair, which they did. Less than a week later I had them. Two days later, when I was back out detecting, they too just quit. Back at calling the company, who again said they were sorry and would ship a new set. I asked instead about a discount in a up grade on a pair of $100 headphones, they gave me a good discount and a week later I had a new, "better pair" of wired head phones. What a difference in sound these had over the first brand I had used. I figured I had ended my life as a headphone killer. Three weeks into hunting with these new head phones and they started to act up. First one side went dead, then the other, but when one side would shut off the other would turn on. I went like this for a week or so until both sides shut off for good. I then tried a bunch of ear buds and walkman headphones and the like...some worked for a bit, some didn't work at all, some worked for a day then died.

I was on FB at the time and asked about this looking for a good pair that didn't cost the bank. everyone had their opinion, one guy said just buy the best, you'll be money ahead in the long run. This should have ended here, but I listen to the few guys sending me in the XP blue line of light wired head phones, about $20. They were good but the wire connecting to the machine was very thin and quite long. Still they performed well. They were also open to outside noises, which in some places became a distraction. These never broke, I ended up giving them to my brother-in-law, who still uses them. However, they weren't right for me. Countless times I would step on the wire when coming up from a dig, which either pulled the set from my ears or unplugged them from the machine.

So I spent some time searching for the best, again everyone had an opinion. But after many hours reading up on headphones and watching youtube channels to see what others were using, I cashed in some clad and bought some Grey Ghost Ultimate Platinum headphones...somewhere in the $150 range...I'm guessing I spent 3/4 of that on headphones that didn't work or didn't work for long.

These Grey Ghost Ultimate headphone are the ones I should have started with. The cord is the perfect length and the 90 degree connector allows it to be set where it is most comfortable. There is no stepping on the cord. There is no reason to take the head set off, like with some of the other headphones. The ear cups go over the ear and once the machine is turned on and running there is no noise coming from other sources. People who want to get my attention either have to yell or come into my line of vision. If you really want to drown out the world and concentrate on what you are doing, these allow for that. You want to hear the faintest of sounds, these allow for that. If you need to cut the sound, like when the pinpointer interferes with the detector when digging you can simply push a button on the ear cup. It has a volume control that I seldom use but for some, along with the volume control of the machine, could be adjusted to what ever needs suit you best. They are wired though, which I haven't found to be a problem, but I know there are many who like wireless. The one con is when it is hot, they keep the heat in and make for a funny tan line.

Are they the best, I really can't say, but they are better than the dozen of others I've tried before for my kind of MDing. In the close to a year I have been using them, I have absolutely no complaints and zero problems and if for some reason these broke, I would buy another set without reservation.

There is a popular youtuber who states he hears the 'sound of silver' or at least he is searching out this sound. He doesn't use headphones. If such a sound exists, (I don't believe it does) you need a pair of quality headphones to hear it. It won't be coming from the speaker on your detector. I really don't remember what the speaker of my T2 sounds like. Of all the headphones and ear buds I've tried to use, the only ones that could discern a difference in a tone so slight, are these Grey Ghost Ultimate Platinum headphones. There are many detectorists who also rely so much on the TID readout that they don't need any sound, so to speak, and a cheap pair that just beeps would suffice. Then there are many somewhere in between that and those relying solely on the sounds, who may also not need a quality set of headphones. But if you are one who spends anytime looking for those deep small targets, quality is a must and these are that in a nut shell.

....as far as I can ascertain, the U.K metal detecting headphone retail out-lets have NO Platinum grade Gray Ghost headphones. The GG Utimate look good for me.. The Teknetics G2+/Fisher F19's have no on-board audio volume control feature. When the pin-point button is engaged the volume level automatically hits the roof, it 'blows yer lugs out'. The GG Ultimates have a one pot volume control knob, as opposed to two on the GG NDT headphones ( one per ear cup ), making the Ultimates seem the logical choice. Quick turn down, hit PP, locate, dig, quick turn up, swing. I've e mailed Detector Pro U.S to enquire as to whether they do have a U.K outlet that stocks the Ultimate Platinums, but I'm not holding my breath in. Damn 'annoying', same goes for the Fisher F75 5x10 solid white elliptical DDs. FT don't sell them to U.K outlets. They do, however, sell the same 5x10 S W E DD for the F19's to U.K outlets. But not for the G2+ ( same 19kHz FT package- different stem lay-out! :twisted: ;) ;) :lol:

I got to thinking when you mentioned the NDT grey ghost...I dig with a hand trowel so the up and downs the detector is always by my side...the ultimate platinum work well for this type of hunting....someone who digs with a full size spade or shovel might not like to have to take them off and put them on or they might somehow or another be in the way or awkward....where the NDT would be a quick unplug and replug...since I don't use a full size spade I'm not sure on this....but food for thought.

• Administrators

It almost sounds like the T2 might have a headphone electrical short somewhere in the connection. 😀

I use the Minelab ML80 wireless headphones from the Nox 800...I just connect a dual male audio wire to it and good to go. The wire has never bothered me since I had a walkman and all sorts of tech gear growing up in the 80's. However, I do go wireless using the Nox - Simplex - Apex...etc...more of a "why not" since the headphones came in the box and the Li-Ion batteries they use in the headphones won't last forever. Might as well use em up.

I use to use a cheap paid of Koss UR20...like $20 on Amazon. Never an issue...still have them.

I have Grey Ghost Rattlers for when prospecting in snake country...the one-ear design it useful...but I usually just go no headphones when prospecting so I can keep both ears on my son who comes with me. they are for sure the best quality when it comes to "metal detecting" headphones. Cost is a bit much at $100 average.....you can get BT 5.0 low latency transmitter and 40 hour headphones for that price....but I do enjoy owning them.

I only use my old Pentechnic fully enclosed ear-cups, corded phones for All Metal hunting, they are 'hanging' now. Hunting in AM, I am digging far less targets so the plug-in cord isn't a hindrance. I use light weight wireless Deteknix WS3's for hunting in disc, my hearing is real good for this type of searching. I have a pair of Sound Peats APTX LL 5.0 BT ear-buds and Tao-tronics 5.0 BT sender ( John's recommendation from way back), for blazing hot days. My son-in-law hunts only with a G2+ and experiences the same huge volume increase in PP as I do, using both wireless WS3's and wireless Garrett Z Lynks. He bought the Z Lynks specifically for the wireless option as well as the big single pot volume control knob on one of the ear cups. Hence my knowledge for the single pot, both ear cups volume control. Odd that both our G2+'s share the same ear-blasting propensity with the two wireless set ups. I think that I will be opting for the GG Ultimates. I will however wait to hear from detectorpro U.S. Man am I glad that in U.K we only have one venomous snake, the common viper. Rattlers are bad-assed snakes man. FTT!

Phoned Detecnicks Ltd U.K this morning, a set of GG Ultimates should arrive at mine tomorrow . £101/$138 inc: p&p ! Thank you for your first post Scott, and you also John for your views. I still shudder every time I think of G G 'Rattlers', coiled up with their necks in the exagerated 'S' strike posture, and their damned rattles shaking; Ugh! This head-phones topic just goes to show the merits of being a member of a real sound metal detecting forum. I'm ever sp pleased.

good deal Tim...will be waiting on your review, once you've had a bit of use out of them.

Huntergt...I was wondering if I might have had a problem with the detector...but the xp headphones worked without flaw...as did the GG.....I have never tried any other headphones since I bought the T2se.....if there was a problem it would have been with the T2+...which gets very little use anymore.

here in NY we have both the timber rattler and the copperhead as a fairly common venomous snake....I have never seen either in the wild.

First set went back within the hour. Both ear-cup cables, entry to ear-cup grommets were 'free-floating'; they would NOT locate and remain in situ. There were also some un-sightly scratches on a raised section of one ear-cup casing. A second pair arrived the next day.....Sadly, the L/H speaker module wasn't anchored inside its ear-cup! I duly removed the L/H side padded ear piece from its ear-cup housing (easy to do), and applied a 10mm diameter Velcro, 'hook', peel- off self adhesive 'dot' to the back of said speaker module; I proceeded to fix a corresponding, 'loop' dot to the centre of the inner ear cup, gently, then re-located and re-seated the speaker module, so that the 'hook and loop' dots mated up, I completed the re-assembly by replacing the padded ear-piece onto the ear-cup housing; 'perfect'...now. I guess the trip from the U.S isn't always conducive to the longevity of certain items ( I was informed that the Gray Ghost headphones arrive packed loosely together in plastic bags, within a large main transport box!!! ) , either that, or they did the trip from the U.K air-port 'cross-country' via Pony Express!. Once re-assembled, I plugged them in on my G2+; they work fine. All the controls are functioning as they should... I'll post a further up-date once I've used them for an hour or two. I live in the sticks, so I'll go for a swing in a little meadow below our house tomorrow.

I think that, barring an audio fail, they will be just fine now Scott. Don't feel bad man, your recommendation was sound (no pun intended), . Obviously the importers can get way more speakers per container if they come un-boxed, as seperate units. I guess this batch were handled roughly, that's all. These things ought not to happen, however, sometimes they inevitably do. The switches work fine. The white one knocks the audio off/on, so no need to turn the volume knob once set. The black knob is a bit of a puzzle as it does nothing obvious to my ears. It's for tuning in to some machines, i think??? (no instruction manual!). I've plugged them into the 75 and they work. They seem to really suit the G2+ well. Perhaps the GG's prefer the higher 19 kHz. Anyway, I've not had the chance to use them in the meadow today, so with luck I can give them a go tomorrow. I've a mind to give Regtons ( big U.K dealers, bit like Kelly Co?), a call on Monday, and ask them if they still have GG's in stock, and enquire as to whether they come boxed, with instructions. Just out of curiosity ;) ;) .

yea .. I think the black knob is a stereo/mono switch .. it does nothing on my detector either .. but I'm guessing it is for other detectors. I think my headphones came just in a bag also...it did have a simple diagram on what was what .. but no real instructions.

I've been hunting along side the main road in town and was thinking today how nice it is to be able to shut out the sound of the busy roadway, which was only feet away. There were a few of the houses I hunted in front of that had unreal EMI, even though I had the DST on, but I could listen through it and find signals.

Nice one Scott, yea a stereo/mono button makes sense. Real odd that Detector Pro can't be bothered to package their headphones individually in boxes, with a brief instructional manual. Piss poor, in my opinion, in respect of the 'damaged in transit' risk causing customers undue hassle and much complaining. False economy. Anyways, 'it is what it be'. On the flip side, it's good to hear that they have good external noise muffling capabilities, so vital for hunting, especially next to close proximity traffic. With rural hunting, the main sources of emi are the occasional power cables, above and below, electric perimeter fencing (livestock), and close proximity to 'certain farm buildings'. I once, un-wittingly, turned on my G2+ when about to hunt next to a large farm complex, completely oblivious to the 'motherboard/audio/ brain' scrambling effect that turkey 'concentration camp'- battery houses can cause. I've never experienced the like, before or since; like turning on my machine stood next to a Klingon 'Bird of Prey' in full 'cloak'! :o

EMI is something else .. the T2+ couldn't be run at all in those places I experienced yesterday .. it doesn't have the DST .. that is the major reason I bought the LTd .. the first time I ever experienced it I had thought my detector was broken, it was at a park with train tracks near by .. the DST is a great advancement. .. I have since found many places where emi is to much for the T2+ .. it is mostly ground cables .. especially when they turn the lights on or something similar. .. I never thought of klingons, though I have thought a more general and all encompassing 'alien' .. food for thought.

Yep emi is a terror for sure. The episode at the turkey farm was my first encounter with how abruptly savage it can be. I actually shouted to my brother words to the effect , "Shhhhit! My ####in' G2 is frying its ####in' brains out man!" As bad as that! :oops: :roll: :lol: DST is a superb thing for sure. I hunt DST 91 (off), unless forced to go DST90 (on). That way my 75 is 'open'. BTW, if you are interested in FT DST history ( initially there were problems when trialled on the early F75s, as it killed the wonderful audio modulation of the 75, and gave it 'digital properties' that caused it to 'stop short' at max detection), there are the excellent performance reviews from John,THGT 'Metal Detecting: Fisher F75 Performance Review' 5:56 time point onwards, and Keith Southern (relics 1864) 'Fisher F75 85th anniversary edition with DST'.. These two YT reviews cover vco tone modolation and DST thoroughly.John, Keith, and Todd Brown (scannerguy 1968) are my no BS 'go to guys' for reviews. The U.K review scene attracts troll bitches more often than not, and I instantly shy from such reviews that get ruined by nasty comments and brand-bigotry' remarks that become offensive. Shame.