Hunters Pain, I feel it.

I have been hitting up a local school. Finds have been about what you would expect at an elementary school. Pencil erasers, zipper pulls, Yesterday I hit an overload signal and it seemed a dime signal trying to squeak through. The last overload signal I hit here was an old brass sprinkler head. The grass was thin and I could see there wasn't anything on the surface. I dug up the overload signal, expecting a sprinkler head, to find a 1\10 tax token just under the surface. The dime? 1994 4" down.

Good days, not such good ones. Part of the lure of the hobby I guess. In U.K we metal detectorists are still anchored by legislation that prevents detecting at this time. At least the same isn't applicable in U.S. Mind you, the fields and finds'll still be there once we are allowed to hunt. Over here, Council owned properties are 'Verboten' to metal detecting. No kerb strips, parks or school ground hunting for us. Can you imagine the sheer volume of dropped coinage that's accumulated in such locations over the centuries? Mind-boggling amounts of cash and jewellery! If we were caught digging up a 5 pence piece we'd be in line for confiscation of kit. We'd be hung for less 300 yers ago! ;) ;)

I kind of wondered why all the Youtube footage I have seen from over there seemed to be in pastures and agricultural ground. I just kind of assumed that hammered coins and bronze age stuff drew in more viewers. I can imagine you are used to finding old stuff shallow and modern stuff deep in those conditions having been tilled. (old and modern being a relative term) Maybe next time I go over there I will hit that surface V-nickel.

Yep, some historical finds of great age can be found relatively shallow. Potatoe ground puts moderns down and pulls up older things in rotation, due to vastly increased depth of ploughing. Romans and Medievals come predominently from more level grounds. Such ground was easier to habitate, and break using horses or oxen, than steeper gradients. Classic Bronze/Iron Age artefacts can found in greater densities near old water-courses, or 'swampy' land. Celts offered metal implements to their ancestors residing in a 'underworldly' domain. Water was the medium for depositing and 'transporting' such things. Higher ground trails and ridgeways offer up great finds from all ages over here, and permissions to hunt such places are much sought, and contested too at times.. Celtic coins tend to come from higher planes in general, low ground was ambush territory; 'killing ground'. Mass U.K club hunts make me nauseous. They fill rural areas with 'armies' of scratchers and grabbers and ego grooming money makers , that share scant respect for much else. " I hate people, they hate me. " :lol: ;) ' Anti No-where League'. ;)