keeping it simplex

ScoTTT2

So the weather has turned for the better here .. which gets me thinking of some water hunting .. I bought the simplex just for water hunting, after waiting out the release of the Apex (in the hope that it too would be a water machine). One thing, fairly obvious to anyone who also uses the simplex in the water, is it is likened to swinging a paddle. The large 11 inch stock coil with all the 'fins' just doesn't compliment the noodle of a lower rod.

After reviewing the HunterGT comparison of the two smaller coils, I've decided the 8.5 inch round would probably be the best coil for water hunting, just because of the air testing getting further results. Some of the places here are sand bars where the boaters all pull into and party. I am also looking at the carbon fiber lower shaft.

Is there something else I don't know about that would help make the simplex perform better as a water machine? .. and, John you said in both videos you prefer the 2.77 over the 2.78 .. mine came with the 2.78, so I really don't know what was up dated and what advantages one up date would have over the other. .. and if the 2.77 version would be better in the water, in your opinion, can I down load that to replace the 2.78 version?

The SP22 is the better coil for water hunting, Its size to weight ratio is very good when submerged. If you want even better submersion, simply block any end- of -stem hole/s with a correctly sized rubber grommet, and fill the whole lower stem with dry sand. Once you've done that, slowly pour in water to dampen the sand to add extra ballast to suit. When you're satisfied with whatever weight you prefer, just plug the top end of the lower stem with a wine bottle cork, cut to size, with a screw turned into the, old cork-screw channel to plug and extract it, is good. Push the cork into the upper end of the lower stem, replace lower stem into the upper, and hunt under water... The 2.77 V is MUCH THE BETTER version to opt for than the ' de-tuned' 2.78V, in my opinion. If it gets too sparky, simply lower the gain a tad ( same as ever!)....As to changing Simplex Versions: IT IS PERFECTLY SAFE, to GO BACK FROM 2.78V TO 2.77V. But NEVER EVER attempt to go FROM ANY 2.7 V's BACK to an earlier 2.6 Version. To do so WILL ABSOLUTELY RUIN the machine/coil, and also utterlyvoid any Nokta Makro warranty.... Incidently, my brother put his Simplex back to 2.77 from its 2.78 V, and loves the re-juvinated Simplex, he much prefers its stiffer/lighter carbon fibre lower stem, especially when water hunting! I've hunted plenty with his 2.77 v Simplex, and it is the 'way to go'. So to sum up,; the 2.77 and CF stem is best, in my op. Also, if you've not already done so, perhaps check out YT U.K's Lori Mc Gregor, aka 'The Simplex Guru'. Lori specifies on all things Simplex, and one of her earlier videos deals specifically with the merits/de-merits of the 2.77V compared to the 2.78V. I hope this helps you out Scott.

just finished watching the video .. thanks again Tim .. I thought I was the only person who didn't like the way the simplex worked afield (and maybe I am) .. it had a wall like limit and nothing beyond that limit would be heard .. still a decent range, especially considering the price .. now I find that it is the firmware giving the limit to the machine .. I will be downloading the 2.77 and giving that a go .. I could always go back.

Yep, you can always go back Scott if you wish, though I wouldn't be surprised if you prefer 2.77. The actual fact surrounding Nokta Makros decision to install 2.78 almost ' over-night' was caused entirely by novice detectorists who suffer from collective, 'perceived obsolescence syndrome'. At the time of the 'clamour' in U.K, a more experienced head coined that very astute discriptive, and I firmly agree with him. As you may know, Nokta Makro engage very commendably with customers. Dilek has always informed customers that the company take heed of sensible criticisms and informed requirements. Customers went merrily through the initial 2.6 V's, and Nokta obliged their requests accordingly. Numerous enhancements could be up-loaded to Simplex, and the vast majority seemed happy. Unfortunately, many Simplex owners are 'silicone junkies', as I call all addicts of the obsession. New-comers lacked the common-sense to thoroughly aquaint with Simplex up-dates BEFORE moving on up :roll: . Time moved on; eventually, at the requests of more experienced detectorists, Nokta Makro introduce the 2.77V, which turned Simplex into a wonderful, sparky, sensitive to tiny silver coinage, 'fire-stick' with superb VCO modulation out to infinity! It duly found its un-timely way into the hands of a host of 'silicone addicted' novices, suffering heavily from the 'perceived obsolescence syndrome'!. They totally FREAKED OUT, big styley, en masse. :o :o :lol: ;) . Nokta Makro duly gave them 2.78, to tame the 'beast', and placate the 'unwary'. Your experience with T2 sets you up perfectly for Version 2.77...ps; The SP24/Simplex 'union' is a 'match made in heaven' for 'iron laden'/ woodland/stalk crop stubbles and plough hunts...just sayin'.

• Administrators

Sorry late to the post. Tim has it correct. Already had one customer fry his coil from rolling back to the 2.6X update on a new machine with the 2.78 update. It does void the warranty and NoktaMakro will not help.

2.78 should never have been released. It was perfect on 2.77 - but they listened to a bunch of newbs on their Nomads team who didn't like the bouncy ID's at depth....so made it so there was no ID at depth. A stupid trade off I will never understand.

spacer.png