testing out the new coil

ScoTTT2

got the simplex out for a bit this evening .. I was hoping to get to the new sidewalk tear out, but it seems that with the rain and snow this past week no one did any work there .. so I hit a little park that I hunt a lot

20210501-201223.jpg

two rings, one junker and one sterling, a two piece iron back button, an old arrow key, a 1939 wheatie and a little clad .. 2,77 is much better, same with the carbon lower shaft, IMO .. going to be a good water detector.

Great news Scott! A nice haul to 'Christen' v 2.77. BTW, if you can lay your Simplex horizontally on a wooden bench, or chair, in your yard and do a 'in-air' test,now that your Simplex is on v 2.77, I think that you may be even happier with it. With your headphones on, 'wave' a good silver or quality copper content coin to and fro across the search coil. Start the tests on Mid-to-High Gain settings. Moving the coin at a 'second-hand 'tic-toc' clock speed', start right up close to the search coil, gradually moving the coin up the stem away from it. The vastly improved 'zingy' vco modulated tone will be evident right out to audible vanishing point. There will no longer be that 'brick wall' stop off point. Once you've completed this series of Mid to High Gain tests, try repeating them, only this time on Low to Mid-Point Gain.... I think that you may be suitably impressed by the Simplex's responses. This test, imo, sinks the " Full Gain Till It Crackles, Then Back Off A Bit" rhetoric, so often espoused by 'experts', who should know better. Such advice merely blows their 'expert' tags into small atoms. Maximum gain, most of the time, is the sure fire way to ruin detection harmonies, and impinge hugely on the machines true abilities, imo. I am real pleased for you my friend! ATVB.

very obvious yesterday that the simplex runs better with the sensitivity one or two down from the top .. full gain just made things difficult .. I fell into that full gain mindset with the T2, after being told that running mid-sens. was a poor way to run it .. I gave that full throttle (99 sens) a few hours, and got to the point where I could tell a good signal from a deep false .. though not 100%. .. I'm back to running it at a much lower point, mostly dictated by the ground I'm hunting .. I bought the simplex to use as a water machine and I think that will be its fate .. as a T2 it is not .. and maybe because of the amount of time I put over the coils of the T2 and how that machine has become so much second nature in my hands, I am not giving the simplex its full due .. but really I don't need to .. I'll leave that for the youtube comparisons people

...at the very least you have a really competant water machine, as well as a decent fall-back if you ever have mechanical issues with your T2, or if a family member or a mate (buddy) asks to go hunting with you. As I've mentioned, I've hunted with a Simplex, boththe v2.68 and v2.77, respectively, and neither are a 75, nor do they come close to my G2+ in hot ground amongst site iron, Simplex wasn't made to take the bigger boys on, its primary role is a entry level machine, nevertheless it is a superb metal detector in its domain, and some. My brothers haul of silver hammereds, tiny Roman minims, and much more speak for the fact. It's the man or woman behind the machine that ultimately proves its worth.

no doubt and especially for the price .. it is very capable .. although when I was testing it out the past couple days, I didn't dig the faint signals. but they were now there .. telling me it is hitting much deeper targets than it was before the up-grade to v2.77 .. my brother-in-law wanted to get into metal detecting after seeing what I had been finding and I steered him to the simplex .. I can't tell you though how many times I reached for the trigger.

• Administrators
T2 and F75 with 11 round coil will likely be deeper - as they are hotter by a fair bit. Although Simplex is sparkey as well at full sens 2.77. DST really combats EMI well if you have SE or LTD version like you do. Something all NoktaMakro machines would benefit from for sure.

spacer.png