a couple from today

ScoTTT2

my second US large cent .. tried real hard to get a date off of it but that was a no go .. still two years without finding one then two real close together .. then this quarter .. I think the same guy that invented the pull tab designed this .. anyway had me going for a bit, I've never seen one before.

20210522-202039.jpg

Congrats Scott! Such a pity the large cent has become pickled over the years. Over here our George 3rd cartwheels and other coppers of George 3rd rarely come up good. They seem so soft and easily rubbed out. Hopefully your next large cent will show some good definition. fair play, that quarter is unusual, yet really cool.

the ground it came from was obviously heavily fertilized recently .. it was 10 inches down according to the pinpoint of the T2 .. but before I hunted there I checked the old maps online and there was no reason for it to be where it was .. maybe a logger dropped it during a break, or something like that .. but it has me searching for an older set of maps that might show some habitation .. the maps of this area of that time frame are poor, at best, mostly hand drawn and unless you can find a known landmark on one of them, it is very hard to figure where things actually stood .. even then, until the surveyed fire insurance maps, distance wasn't a constant.

....coins are a bit like trout in a brook I reckon; seldom found far from another. I find a trip to my local library map archives to be more of use than on-line searching at times. It amazes me what an ardent librarian sometimes has the capacity to 'un-earth'. A good librarian will sniff out old reference maps like a hound on a spoor. They seem to really enjoy that challenge. 'Grease thier palm' if they do good, and they hunt harder! Artificial manure is the bane of all but gold. I hope that you have success with map hunting. If you do manage to find an old bridle-path/track/road-way, you will definitely be in with a good shout I think.

that brings up a good bit of advice Tim .. today, online, are most county GIS maps/tax maps/Plot maps .. different names for the same thing .. but only a few years back you would have to make a visit to the county tax/real estate department to view these maps .. I became a friendly nuisance to the employees there .. they really enjoyed someone breaking their day with questions of various parcels of their county .. after a few visits, they brought out the old maps .. these maps are mostly still not on the internet (at least I can't find them) .. and the oldest ones were white glove handled .. I could only look at them, with a do not touch rule in effect .. some counties had employees at this department that also knew history .. but most did not .. so with a picture and a trip to the county historian you could have some questions answered .. these departments are still there and although the interweb has taken the place of a visit ... those employed there still get lonely and will go out of their way to help you with what ever they can.