U.K 'Finders-Keepers' /Flo and PAS and 'crap' .

;) Great recent Live-Stream' John. The 'British Accents' bit made me smile..a lot ;) Those rowers lol! :lol: I've lived up in England since '91, I'm Cornish, as you will know. and although my 'people' no longer speak Cornish as a first language, our ( if you are REAL CORNISH) accent/dialect, speed of speech, and rolling/dropping of consonants takes some understanding, if you aren't 'one of 'us' ', so to say ;) True Cornish people, from the 'Heartland' areas, never ever see ourselves as Sowsenek( English). We are proud of our 'Celtic' history, not the Germanic history of the English. Conwall, being so small, was easily 'assimilated' by the English, who went to great lengths to 'Anglisize' us. They succeeded in many cases. Henry V11 in particular is, to this day, despised by True Cornish people for his cruelties, his son, Henry V111 was a complete 'Tyrant King', who banned the Christian Bible written in Latin from being converted into the Cornish language, amongst other 'niceties'. English monarchs were/are utterly ruthless. However, we Cornish thoroughly 'bastardised' the English language, incorporating Cornish words into this 'bastardisation'. So accents apart, I would never expect anyone from your side of the pond to 'savvy' us 'first few outings'. We roll certain consonants ( R's ), and drop others ( H's), and speak very quickly and deeply. Confused? Even other English Brits can't understand our 'cant' if we choose. As to the 'Finders Keepers' FLO/PAS, it's not remotely as bad as it might at first seem. Only hugely rare or significantly valuable finds are kept by them. The FLO system is essential as a means by which to accurately record our historic legacies; ie; movement of peoples/ trade history yada yada. Coins under 300 years are of no interest and need not be recorded/handed over. As far as the rest of the coins? The vast majority will almost ALWAYS be handed back after recording, together with their own registered authenticity 'paperwork' which gives them more value on 'the market'. Only hugely rare/valuable coins and artefacts are recorded and purchased from finders by Museums, for most excellent prices. This form of registration/documentation is of more benefit than not. Finding a hoard of Celtic Gold/Silvercoins and/or Gold Torcs etc, or single Saxon coins of great rarity NEED to be handed in for the good of our Islands' historic importance, and to re-iterate, the detectorist/s are handsomely paid for their findings; they really are John; like £ Millions in some instances. The two detectorists that discovered the Jersey Hoard in 2012 are now both millionaires, along with the farmer on whose land the hoard was discovered....The 'Jersey Hoard', was comprised of a huge 'Coin Ball', 3/4's the size of a Ford Sierra car. Hundreds of thousands of Iron Age Celtic silver coins, gold bracelets, gold 'finger-bar' ingots, and huge gold neck, and arm torcs, all 'fused' into an enormously heavy and fantastically valuable mass. The hoard was the treasure chest of Celtic tribes from Gaul (France), taken 'off-shore' to Jersey, and buried in great secrecy prior to the full-scale Roman invasion by the Roman Consular Legions of Julius Caesar. Without FLO/PAS in such instances as these, the gates are as open as the legs of the 'Great Whore of Buxthude', and ripe for the machinations of the criminal under-world that exists in all walks of financial doings. With no offence John, British History and its' vast array of very ancient high value metalurgy in the shape of coins and artefacts far surpass anything that might be found in some other 'New World' Countries/locations. Our ancient coin/artefact values figure in £ Billions, most of which is simply recorded and handed back to the finder/s. The Celtic Bronze Age Axe-Head I sent you pics of, was recorded and posted back to me with its' own certificate of official authenticity. It's worth far more now, monetatarily. 'Night-Hawking' is like 'Game bird/animal Poaching', it's endemic, and those that persist in digging up sites of National Historic Importance are desecrating 'Hallowed Turf'; bit like a horde of metal detectorist regularly descending upon and digging up U.S Historically Important sites like the 'Custer Battlefield' on the Little Big Horn yada yada; definitely " Not Cricket, Old Chap!" Incidentally, the Jersey Hoard was discovered using a Tesoro and a C Scope metal detector, respectively!. As soon as the news got out, XP jumped on the band-waggon, and the two detectorists were photographed holdind a top-of-the -range 'V' XP Deus each!!! What a bolloc#s Eh? Money talks and BS walks! I sure hope that you find this 'epic' of interest. Hopefully it may prove valuable at providing an in-sight as regards 'British'/U.K 'Finders-Keepers' metal detecting lore.

lol Tim .. my wife watches some of the British cooking shows on the TV .. I don't watch TV, but it is sometimes in the background when I'm on the computer .. I don't know how many times I hear something from those cooking shows and have no idea what they just said .. I'll come back with, "honey those Brits can't even speak English"

I too do not watch TV Scott, unless it is to view a rugby union International match, nor have I bought or read a news-paper since '83. Balls to that subversive control crap for me! Maybe check out YT or Google 'The Jersey Celtic Coin Hoard'. I think you may find it interesting, hopefully. We British leave the English to their way of speaking their 'Taal'. The 'Queens' English' accent definitely ain't in my vocab. Bless her cotton socks, crown, sceptre and orb.

I was just yesterday reading of the Jersey Celtic coin hoard .. can you imagine hitting something like that as a target? .. it is the many caches buried here in the states that have me reading the local histories and many family genealogies looking for an in to find something similar, similar yet much smaller .. there are so many of these caches buried, but to few are being found .. except occasionally stumbled upon by sheer dumb luck, most are sitting quietly waiting to be discovered .. or never to be discovered .. and the metal detecting industry and popularization is concentrating on a few bits of silver or a gold ring .. the lack of faith in the banking industry pre WWII and for a bit afterward, had many keeping what money they made to themselves .. and those that practiced this 'coins in the piggy bank' before the executive order by FDR in 1933 could have very well kept that piggy full of gold coins .. so just where was the loose barn floor board, did the barn burn down shortly after the stasher died, maybe the outhouse had a hinged seat, or the wifey kept the garden and grew some real nice zucchini squash or the meat locker always kept the sawdust piled in that corner .. or Johnny always paid his bills but never seemed to have anything extra .. I wonder how many coils have swung over a cache and believing it was a junk target, not put the shovel to the soil .. maybe Johnny used a big piece of iron to cover his stash or kept it in a iron pot .. would you dig it? .. it is easy to say yes, now that you know the prize .. but in actuality that big iron grunt would be a pass by most of todays detectorists .. and rightfully so, as this is what is being taught .. and sought .. the modern detectorist would never pass a solid silver dime signal .. but that iron target only a few feet away could very well have a thousand dimes under it, yet still be a pass.

• Administrators

Glad you enjoyed it lol. I was sure most people from the UK would not take offense to me saying I had trouble with those two accents. Same thing for the Lousiana types over here - some of them speak with a mixed French-American-Southern accent and I have zero clue what they are going on about. I get maybe 3 of 10 words here and there. Other side of the coin is most people think I am a surfer/stoner/bro-dude when I turn on my California talk.

As far as FLO...I was playing devils advocate there. I totally see the need for FLO over there. Just can't see anything like that ever being created over here an being taken serious - even if the historical background was there. You could find Excalibur over here and a lawyer would find a way to let the finder hang it above his fireplace. That Jersey coinball would be in a garage in Utah somewhere - holding up an anvil or some nonsense.

That does make me happy to hear they pay the finders of the treasure a handsome amount - even the farmers.

@ScoTTT2 - I would not be surprised at all if most of us in the USA have walked past a mason jar lid full of radness at one time or another.

spacer.png

Over here we rip the **** out of our dialects John. Eastern Bloc immigrants/ ethnic Brits aside, this little Island has always been fiercely inter- tribal. Most of our Celtic 'antipathy' is focused on those damned English ;) ;) and their in-bred royals; bigest bunch of cousin-f###ers out ther ;) Worse than us Cornish even! :roll: . No wonder their Queen keeps Corgis. She's only four feet tall . Can you imagine her walking a Deerhound? :lol: Insular dwarfism running wild! ......Yep Scott, to hit on that vast hoard must've made that old Tesoro howl! That sure defined the term, 'Coin Ball'. Trump that bugger! Over your side of the pond, there will be thousands upon thousands of valuable buried hoards; shallow too in a lot of cases I reckon.. People fleeing Union/Confederate troop advances, Hold-up caches,....Prohibition coin caches, the list is too long my friend...However, they are out there, just lying there anonymously,...back to Jersey; that hoard, transported off-shore from Gaul, to one of the Channel Islands, and hastily buried ( too shallow for it to have been otherwise), speaks volumes for the levels of terror that advancing Roman Consular Legions instilled. Pure fear, in it's raw form. No-one came back for the buried hoard. All dead, if they were lucky. My pappy fought the Italians in WW2. He said of them, " Italian fighting men?...they are either 'at your throat, or 'at your knees'". God save the queens :lol: