pin pointing question

If you've seen some of my threads on the finds gallery you can see I've been on to some older coins .. these are coming from signals 8-12 inches deep according to the pin point function on the T2 .. I find that the pin point function is fairly accurate and use it to gauge the depth I dig before I start to look for a target with the tek point .. my hunting goes something like this .. get a hit, run the coil back towards me looking for where the target stops hitting off the toe of the coil, then I pull the trigger and put the center of the coil over that spot to read how deep it is .. for 90% of the time this works very well and within a minute of that I have recovered my target and am on to the next one .. but every once in a while I will get a hit, run the coil back to me until the target stops hitting and pull the trigger and place the coil over the spot where the target stopped .. and nothing happens, no sound at all .. the machine doesn't pin point anything down there or anything anywhere around it .. I go back and the target hits again and I can run the coil back to me with it hitting all the way ..but not find it with the pin point function .. I pass on these targets as I'm not sure just how deep I would need to dig to retrieve them or if there is anything there at all .. the larger coil doesn't seem to do this any more than the smaller coil does .. any help on what I should do in these cases .. should I dig hoping to find a target .. is it a ghost target .. just not sure of what is going on with this.

I have no clue so I'm kind of throwing this out there? Have you tried lifting the coil while pinpointing a shallow target to get an idea how deep it is capable of going in your soil? Would that give you an "at least" depth? Once you got there the tek point would give you another 3 1/2 to 4" once you hit your "at least" depth?

Just thinking out loud.

I know I've seen the pin point register 18 inches .. that is also the length of my arm up to my elbow .. I dug a few of those targets the first year I was detecting and they all turned out to be trash .. I would have to be getting a lot of good targets in the 12-15 inch range before I dug another 18 inch target, unless, maybe I was in a field .. I don't think the target would hit and be beyond the reach of the pin point function .. I'm not sure if the pin point would miss a small coin straight up and down on edge, I don't think so and still have the coil hit the same target .. or multiple targets under the coil causing the pin point function to null out, not picking any of those targets .. this happens in both all metal and discrim modes, even with discrim set to 0

I wish that i could help you Scott, but I very seldom use the pin-point function on either my 75 or G2+ for locating coins. Years of analogue MDs and night-hunting have conditioned me that way, and most sites have too much close proximity ferrous, for even for a 5x10 to accurately hit on using the pin-point function. At night I use a tiny round 5mm luminescent self adhesive dot stuck on the sweet spot of my coils. One quick hit on the dot with a little torch keeps it glowing for ages....it's lethal for tiny coin needling/ finding, night or day....I do know that I've never dug a coin on edge though. Coins always come up flat or very rarely on a slight cant for me. I've seen people use the pin-point, then releease it, depress trigger/button again and repeat this 'narrowing down' of pin-point process before commiting to digging. For me it all takes up too much time. Hopefully John can help when he's feeling up to it. The pin-point function is really great for finding a nice clean area for GB'ing, so much better than the old-way of having to switch all metal on a site to find a iron free GB spot!

yea .. I didn't think it would be a coin on edge .. I guess I'll start trying to dig out any hit to see if I'm actually missing something, rather than letting them slide .. at least until I figure this out.

• Administrators

Not sure if I comprehended it right since this new medication makes me a zombie lol. If running disc 0 - or disc 50-59.....disc mode will be deeper than AM mode. It might be you are hitting it in disc mode, but AM cannot. Since the PP feature is basically non-motion AM mode...it might be the issue,

I personally would take your percentages. Since you have tried to dig a few of those targets and they were trash - I would just call them as such and move on. That is me personally...your brain may not like that option in field lol.

I have never even air tested a coin at 18 inches on the T2...so I would personally pass on it thinking it was larger than coin trash or a larger than coin relic.

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Revisiting this thread...check this video out. I have not checked the validity of it yet - but he has been preaching this technique for a long time now. Not sure it helps your exact scenario - but neat all the same if it does indeed work.

spacer.png

Aye, I've heard of this technique of his from Lori McGregor aka 'The Simplex Guru' on YT U.K. Fair play, it is very interesting to see and listen to this at last! Cheers John. ... I find that on the odd occasion that I hit on a scratchy coin/ring sized target, in disc, with that perfect/ exact 'sweet spot' on the coil, and I'm not pretty damn sure, I then turn 90 degrees, hit the Pin-Point/ Am function and repeat the process. If the target location isn't EXACTLY in the same spot with the Pin-Point function at its exact 'positional loudess' ( as it was in Disc ), then it's usually always Iron/crap/jagged/junk. This works vice-verse if you hit on a tiny target when hunting in AM.... it's infinitely quicker than this process of Mr Knipschiels, and it works for me on coins/small round targets/tiny jewellery. It's really useful when vdi numbers/high tone drops out at greater depths.... Each to their own mind you, and fair play to all others theories and practices...... 'Try it'. .... Hit on disc sweet spot, mark it, hit on AM/PP at 90 degrees, mark it, if it's off spot leave it and try find another better one.