factory coils vs. aftermarket coils

ScoTTT2

pros and cons... somewhere I read the statement , 'if the factory wanted an aftermarket coil on their machine they would have built one'...so what do you think?...are factory coils better?...are some machines better with aftermarket coils?....I have four coils, two factory and two aftermarket...one, that is an aftermarket, I'm thinking of selling, the other is almost always on my machine...the factory makes a coil similar to both, but I've tried neither.....let it begin.

• Administrators

I almost always prefer the factory coils. I have yet to see an aftermarket coil "blow my mind" or whatever. I do like the Nel/Cors and MGC lab coils I have...but they certainly are not loads better than the factory coils. So far the biggest improvement has been EMI shielding some of them use.

The way I figure it...the company made the coils to work their machine as good as they can. Any 3rd party is basically going in blind by reverse manufacturing the coil. The manufacturer is certainly not giving them the schematics or anything. So it most cases it is similar performance - with just a different look.

I sent all 3 of my T2 coils off to MGC Lab to make a new coil (when they were a sponsor)....they never did get the job done. So they either could not figure it out - or decided it was not worth it because performance was not any better.

Just my opinion.

spacer.png

I value your opinion on subjects such as this, surely one of the most informed opinions....I remember waiting on the 10" MGC that never came to be....I pulled the trigger on a nels sharpshooter, which I like alot and use mostly...I keep wondering on the factory 10 inch....I also have an 13inch ultimate coil which isn't any better than the factory 11 inch and allows for more targets under it...very few areas I can use it to any benefit where I hunt...your last video with the 15 inch just got me thinking of replacing those two coils with the factory equivilants.....hoping this would start some discussion

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Scott, I go with John in respect of companies making coils that harmonise accurately with the MDs they were made for. The companies calibrate the two to achieve this. I own 4 aftermarket coils that suit my needs. // F75: 5x9 MGC for tight work in naily sites in FA mode. Fisher DO NOT export their 5x10 solid elliptical to U.K (Mental). //F75: Cors Cannon 14.5x10.5. Solely for bigger sweep coverage at mid/low gain on cleaner pasture and arable in AM mode, not for depth per se, though it will add some depth.// G2+:MGC 9x13; (same/similar as for Cors Cannon/F75.) // G2+: 5x10FT white solid elliptical (classed as 'aftermarket' ,by me, as FT Teknetics only supply their 7X11DD on U.K G2+ exports), which I obtained from main FT Fisher dealership, because the U.K F19's come with this coil, and it is identically compatible with G2+(again,Mental). Why FT don't export the 5x10's for the F75 and G2+ I have no idea. The 5x10's are my favourite coils, but the £420 cost of importing one for my 75 was a NO NO. Too expensive for a coil. Done. i hope you found this interesting.

Thanks Tim...now that is something I never even thought of and didn't know....it was a guy from the UK, Dave, that turned me onto the T2 when I was woundering what machine I should buy for my first...he also stated that once I felt comfortable with the machine that the ultimate 13 inch would give me something amazing...I was totally blown away by the machine...I guess I never knew what metal detectors were capable of doing....but the 13 inch coil was sort of a let down...you've got me thinking that it is the difference in the two areas and the type of hunting I do' comparitively....I have found that the smaller coils are what turn the T2se into a beast...allowing for its full potential...do they cut down the depth?, maybe...but not enough to make a difference in real world hunting, where I hunt...I'm guessing that in a plowed field or at the beach I might dig down past the 15 inch mark to see what was there...not in someone's lawn or at the park...the history here starts at 1800 and for the most part what I've dug from that time is in a 12 to 15 inch layer....also the targets get fewer in that range.

You are welcome Scott. Big coils get misunderstood by many people, in my opinion. The vast majority of all metal detectorists fall foul of a fundamental misnomer; I did too until a wise (learned the hard way) highly respected metal detectorist put me straight, bless his soul for he has since passed. A metal detector, like all of it's type, MUST be as perfectly balanced (harmonised) in order for it to give up it's full potential. We tune our MDs to the ground ( ground balance),with a very slight threshold hum, all is harmonised, so then, foolishly, we turn the sensitivity (volume) to max, or so high that we have to back off so null the 'chatter'. Max gain/sensitivity isn't necessary. it's the worse thing in fact, yet 'we' all 'wind' our MD's up, wrongly thinking it gives us that 'tad' more depth. It doesn't, it can't possibly. It's like tuning in your radio perfectly to a high wave-band station, and then turning the volume control to Max. The radio wave is instantly out of harmony, and the signal is massively un-listenable, until the volume is turned back down to a sensible level. Try it yourself; and bear in mind, the result is 'in air' not 'in ground', that is loaded with mineralisation to a greater or lesser extent! Big ( 11"+ ) coils work beautifully, they really do, especially in All Metal, if hunting open-clean pasture, but ONLY if they are used at mid to low ( setting 2 to 3 ) gain, up to a max ( 5-6 gain) , out of a 10 range. At 50% down to 20% the discrimination works beautifully, the tiny signals are clearly discernible, and depth isn't compromised one iota because the MD and it's search coil are 'harmonised'. Often-times, the adage, 'Least is most' holds firm.... 5x10's don't need full gain either, however they can be run at 75%-80% in most mid/low mineralised dirts, but no more unless the dirt is extremely 'mild'. I hope that I have been of help Scott, as I said, I used to 'Whack up the gain'; I was wrong. I must've missed loads! DUH! Regards, Tim.

thanks Tim...and that all makes perfect sense and when this snow finally melts, I'm giving it a go...I spend a lot of time trying to figure out what's going on when I'm detecting...and would really like to get what I can out of that 13 inch coil.

You're very welcome Scott. I'm sorry if I seem to witter on and I hope that you don't find my replies OTT, or patronising, I truly am no great 'guru' or such-like self-professed so-called expert, I simply try to cover all the bases from my experiences. There's an awful lot that I simply am a non-starter with ie: Continuous/Simultaneous Multi Frequency and Pulse Induction MDs to name but two. But Yeh, the Detech 13" DD Ultimate really is a great after-market coil, as long as it is used in harmony with a MD. I used one on my old Tejon Gain between 2-3, and I was delighted with it. Found lots of tiny coins on arable/pasture. My son-in-law runs one on his G"+ and swears by it ( again on mid gain, 33 V break, iron vol: 13). If you'd like a further insight that may really get you 'switched on' to the ' least can be most' theory, just say and I will explain....The very same man that helped me understand correct use of bigger coils gave the best insight that I have ever learned from. It's up to you Scott. The explanation isn't too in depth, but it IS very 'enlightening'. Here to help, not bore or drone on. ATB, Tim.

Tim ...this is one of the reason I prefer the forum platform over social media such as FB...hopefully this forum will remain and grow a bit....I'd be interested in anything people know about detecting (one of the reasons I've found HunterGT) and maybe the 'least can be the most' would be good for another thread...two years ago when I started detecting I hunted mainly for rings and started finding a bunch...my go to setting on the T2+ was 50/40/1+, it works well at that setting....I said so in a FB post and basically got run off with the why own a machine like that and not run it at 99/0/2+ or wide open...cause that's how they run it.....I now run mostly in all metal unless the land says I can't.

• Administrators

Tim ...this is one of the reason I prefer the forum platform over social media such as FB...hopefully this forum will remain and grow a bit....I'd be interested in anything people know about detecting (one of the reasons I've found HunterGT) and maybe the 'least can be the most' would be good for another thread...two years ago when I started detecting I hunted mainly for rings and started finding a bunch...my go to setting on the T2+ was 50/40/1+, it works well at that setting....I said so in a FB post and basically got run off with the why own a machine like that and not run it at 99/0/2+ or wide open...cause that's how they run it.....I now run mostly in all metal unless the land says I can't.

This forum will stick around for the long haul. Facebook will be dead before this one dies. I really regret deleting the last forum I had up.

My opinion is that those guys need to learn the T2 before they go spouting off nonsense like that. 99 gain in even moderately mineralized soil will be counterproductive. Same with even a trace of EMI. 50-60 gain is perfect. If not hunting rings....I suggest raising disc to 51...you get a nice hidden "boost" that occurs...and still under nickels which ID at 58. 1+ is my personal favorite as well being a disc user.

Unless those people are going to come dig your targets for you...your way is just as valid.

spacer.png

Yep, I totally am with you there Scott. No need for blurring out with high gain, compromising disc and digging un-wanted bits that too much gain encourages, by forcing ott signal tones and blurring out differing audio nuances in shape and size...I had a guts full of FB within a month ( That long ). I used to comment on the U.K N-M Simplex site. It was good in parts, however it also attracted Brand Bigots, one of whom, once he knew what 2 MDs I owned and hunted with, began 'slurring' the two MDs and the Company, referring to both machines as ," Cheap and cheerful". i could sense where it was he wanted to lead me, however, his comment merely showed his ignorance and stupidity. One MD was almost £1,000 when released initially, the other almost £800....Dull heckler.... Afterwards, I began to realise that this type of baiting was almost the norm, in some instances, but it turned me off . Now, I might tune to FB if there is a really significant happening, like company reps announcing new MDs about to be released, other than that it can gather dust.