my ding-a-ling

ScoTTT2

in and out of the rain .. can't hunt here (downpour) ..hunt here for ten minutes (then downpour) .. well I got five holes dug before that downpour .. and managed to dig my first ever complete crotal bell, along with a FFA (future farmers of america) degree pin, a penny and nickel, and a piece of copper or brass flat metal something or other

20210619-194300.jpg

Scott, that is an absolute beauty! Totally bang on! I bet that you are OTM with that croatal bell. Fair play to you for unearthing that classic find! Immaculate. That pin badge is also tops too! Great stuff. I have yet to find a croatal bell, let alone such a perfect specimen as yours. I've only ever managed to find very small bits of bells that have been in battle with agricultural rotovators, and lost badly.

never guessed on either of those finds .. I have found pieces of larger bells .. never a whole one .. the bell and pin were about 9 inches down at a secret park I found last year .. most of the finds here are from 1860-1900 .. the small town once was a thriving and populated place but the choice of the rail roads not to go through it cut its livelihood .. in the 1920s most of the buildings burned to the ground in a large fire .. more recent, the remaining building was torn down do to neglect .. there is a dinner there where I stopped for a coffee and learned about this park .. I have pulled two silver pieces from it both very old jewelry, no silver coins yet ..but I know there must be some .. before the railroads everything moved by waterways.

• Administrators
Great job Scott. I have always wanted to find one. My best chance was along the Santa Fe Trail in La Junta, CO where I lived for 18 years. Sadly I only detected the final 3 of those years. Still on my list.

spacer.png

Years I've tried, then my brother decides to start metal detecting, goes out and buys a Simplex, and BINGO! he only finds an absolute ornate 17thC beauty, and yes, once he'd given it a loving bath in warm water and rose petals, the flippin' thing still has its 'pea' and sounds mellow....AAAAaaGGGHHHHH! Him and his freakin' scrotal bell! jokin re: the rose petals.