from the secret park

ScoTTT2

This park is loaded with pieces of nails from the fire that burned the town down .. it makes for some tuff hunting .. I don't want to disk them out so that I can hear things that may be masked ..even so I'm sure some good targets are being masked with the amount of iron there .. knew that silver coins were there some where, now I'm guessing it is at the limits of the T2 .. this 1873 closed three variety seated dime was waiting about 11 inches down .. a paper thin copper piece with a "roman-esk" type bust looks to be the front of a iron pendant, the iron is long gone .. and a bit of clad

20210622-210849.jpg

Fair play to you and your T2 Scott! Digging to a 11" dime in iron is a significantly good find for anyone and any type of land machine. Just goes to show why the T2 is so highly rated, esp: in iron..As John mentioned, if FT comes out with the new single frequency machine that is, in effect, one of their 19 kHz platforms enhanced with massive boost it would be 'killer'. I don't know if you have ever tried a F19/G2+/BHTRP in heavy iron; if you have then you'll know how useful they can be.

Thanks Tim .. to be honest I dug a few other holes that deep hoping for the same results only to find a perfectly preserved square nail or bit of nail (with no rust) .. sounded the same to the machine .. I think that after being in a fire some of those old iron nails get tempered and ring out loud and clear with TIDs way above the iron range of 40 ..

I have never tried those other machines .. I am limited to having used only four machines for any amount of time, T2se, T2+, simplex+, and Ace400 (lent from a friend) .. and am looking forward to a VLF machine that FT says would be above and beyond the T2 .. or a FT multi frequency .. or a land based format of the Impulse .. I have had the thoughts of a G2, but until I master the T2 .. that will be my land machine .. and it is targets such as this one that I am trying to learn .. totally different type of hunting than the 'walk in the park' normal surface to eight inch deep targets .. the town I live in now was underwater during the flood of 1935, but spared from the flood of 1972 by the building of the highway .. most of the populated areas around me, however, received the wrath of both .. and where the area was underwater for a few weeks at each event, it stands to reason that what ever was lost before those floods has settled deeper than can be recovered with a metal detector and I am working at the fringe of the upper limit of that settling .. even with the simplicity of the T2, I can't just step out of the car and set the machine to what ever settings worked for me at the last location I hunted and expect to get the results I'm after .. a one or two number adjustment of any or all of the controls might just make the difference of finding something worth the hunt .. and even then, ten steps away it might need a totally different adjustment .. it is this that I am trying to wrap my head around....I might be putting to much into this, but with each hunt things get a little clearer for me .. it is possible to just turn the T2 on, make absolutely no adjustments of any kind and find stuff .. but not a silver dime at 11 inches .. judging from youtube videos and what I read from others, most people are satisfied the 'what settings do you use' mindset and preset programs .. nothing wrong with that as surely there can be and are finds there and it is at the very least a starting point .. I have never been like that in anything I do and every time I hit a good target at the fringe of the detectors range I know I am on the right track to were I want to go .. to dig that dime, the machine was set perfectly for that swing and that swing was perfect for that dime that day .. and although the finds make it worth while, it is the things I maybe going over and not finding that push me, taunting me to press on in this direction.

...yep, you are right about fire tempered iron nails ringing up 'silver', especially those smaller robust square nails, I've dug plenty amongst iron, that 'bopps' iron. It's weird:.. bopp- bopp- bing! " dig me ", and behold the punchy little tempered nail , again! I have a collection of square nails, that are superb specimens! On cleaner ground they can be 'exposed' for what they are because they dont hit on the exact same spot on a 90 sweep, and in AM it's usually easy to catch them out , but in amongst iron it's a "dig me". At least by hoiking them up and out you can't dig them again.... Using pre-sets or other peoples' recommended settings is fine starting out, but as you know, anothers' dirt isn't always your dirt, in fact the variables dictate that settings must be adjusted to suit. It seems that quite a number of people simply lack a wee bit of confidence in themselves, so preventing them from experimenting; yet they often times knowingly purchase a high-end, multi-choice of mode/settings machine irrespectively. Praps they imagine using the high-end machine on 'pre-sets', will get them more success simply because it must do because of its' price and recognised status???..Who Knows, but they... As I've mentioned, I intend giving the new NMak Cont: Multi Frequ a go on my iron laden permissions etc, in fact I'm actually Really looking forward to getting one after waiting patiently since 2018. I reckon it'll be good, because it will be NMaks 'Flag-Ship' and they don'y seem to make idle boasts. Time will tell. Ideally, a NMak and the FT New-Look Single Frequ' 'Flag-Ship' will satisfy my needs for the longer-term. With one flag-ship NMakCMF and one flag-ship FT SF, all I'll need is a Captains license to set-sail with them. Let's hope they don't turn out to be a 'Tirpitz' or 'Yorktown'. ;)

be looking forward to an evaluation if and when you get the CMF .. would also like to see some UK finds .. which brings out a question .. I'm guessing that some areas where I hunt the coinage has settled beyond the reach of a metal detector .. yet they are only a couple hundred years old, at the oldest .. and you and your countrymen make finds with a detector that are over a thousand years old .. why do you think that is? ..

..............Our soils are way less mineralised over here for the most part, which makes detection at depth in excess of 10"'s much easier, plus our arables have good depth of light humous rich topsoil which seldom sees deep ploughing; the sort of ploughing used for potatoes that does puts a lot of things down to 16"'s, until such time that it gets deep ploughed up again, for that reason most people can't by assed with the toil. Potatoe farmers do not welcome the detectorist in many parts over here, moreso once a crop is in the raised furrows.. On cereal crop arable lands finds are continuously being 'transported' between surface to a absolute max of 8"s every cycle, so the action from rain vibration gets scant time to 'sink' coins etc, especially not thin section light medieval silvers or non-gold Roman coinage ( Roman Gold coins are rare as hens teeth for the greater part ). We are forbidden to park/curb strip/playing- field hunt, so no doubt the older deposits of coins that reside in those places might be deep, in relation to the sinking effects caused by vibration from rain/mowers/human feet etc or humus build-up and landscaping processess which make 'up' the ground. Our Celtic coins are often found at depth, usually by AM hunting, as Disc drops out (as you know). Celtic coins etc are generally to be found in higher densities on higher ground. They can run 'deep'; gold coins being heavy, relatively, they can find their way down a lot quicker.... Where chalk/granite/ flint and harder compaction shales are to be encountered (especially on higher ground), the Celtic coin/artefact finds can only go down so far before they come up against those harder layers of respective, local 'cap rock', so to say. The Fenland country (flat low-lying South East/East- Coastal U.K flood-plain) is very rich in Celtic finds, however, below the lower-lying flood plain level such finds can be under as much as 1 metre plus of Aluvum; a thick, dense, cloying, grey, glutinous masse of sedimentary layers, where they are lost for all time, unless gravel quarrying/industrial site development/ road building/land-drainage/ pipe-laying occasionally reveals them. We have quite substantial varients in soil types for a tiny island, all of which produce differing 'depth and ease of finds' propensities. At some point I will get one of my girls to photograph a few of my finds, and post them, however they both have families with young children, so their down-time is usually spent with them. Tis the 'way of tings' just now. I hope my explanations are of some interest Scott, and that they provide a brief in-sight. BTW, I detest beach hunting;period! ;) Take care and stay in peace :) ... I hope that John is doing better with his health.

thanks Tim .. it makes sense .. temps have been in the 90s here and I've been detecting in the water .. with not much to show for it but the cooling off .. I've been praying for John right along .. it's been a while since he's surfaced anywhere .. gold finder video being the last I've seen of him .. hope he's just taking a break and getting some R&R.

your welcome Scott. That's the beauty of owning a submersible machine like the Simplex, getting wet isn't an issue, especially when the temps are as high as you're experiencing! The need to submerge must be obeyed when things become uncomfortably hot and you're next to, or in, the cooler waters of a lake, or the sea-side. Where I'm at is 80 miles from the coast, which entails 1 1/2 to 2 hrs of winding country roads until hitting the sea on the West Wales coast. I think that I will give John a shout out on this forum, just to say "Hi" and wish him ATB.