hour at "nickel beach"

ScoTTT2

got to get away for an hour before sunset last night and found where the old dock must have been .. waste deep to chest deep and the pennies go away .. any ideas on what the mustache looking piece of lead is? .. or how to tell if the chinese coin is real? .. if it is it will be my first 1700s coin and fulfill my goals for the year.

20210807-075359-2.jpg

turns out that the coin has the same markings on both sides, which most likely makes it a coin made for good luck and not a cash coin .. thus dating it would be only a guess .. could be any age .. being so, it goes down in my book, as not my 1700s coin .. if indeed it was a real cash coin it would have been dated in the mid 1700s .. but it would have also had different markings on the reverse .. it could also have been made for an educational coin .. much more modern and American made, if so.

Nice finds Scott! One day you will find that 1700's coin, I feel sure. Every dig narrows it down. The luckiest person I've been hunting with found a roman coin on his first ever day out with his Simplex! Most people dream of finding a coin that old. It took me several years until I found a Roman coin, and then I found several of them. Odds had it that I'd find a field that no-one else seems to have; a two acre meadow next to an old natural spring in the wilds of beyond. I so want to find a Celtic coin, but I'm not holding my breath on ever doing so. I've found that axe head that I sent photos of to John, but apart from old bronze 'bits', that's it so far.

Tim .. to find a 1700s coin in the area I've been hunting could possibly be fruitless, as during the 1700s this was a deep dark forest, uninhabited .. it wasn't until the late 1790s that anyone actually lived here .. and even then most of those weren't using coins as a means of trade .. the lakes to the near north of me, however did have some commerce as did the rivers to the south .. the many mid 1800s coins I've been finding correlate to the actual population growth during that time .. so I'm looking for something lost from a population that wasn't here and even those who came later probably didn't loose much as they didn't have much to loose .. there is also the flood factor ..1935 was the big one, 1972 was another big one for the area .. both of these sunk what metal was in the ground deeper than maybe a detector can find .. I am also guessing that there were floods during the 1800s that weren't recorded or aren't talked about as they didn't effect many or as many as those of the 1900s .. also the mapping of the time frame are nonexistent or crudely hand draw generalizations .. 1857 insurance map being the best, still a little dated for what I'm hoping to find .. I think that if I do find a coin from the 1700s it may well be a part of a cache from that period, as anyone with any amount of money in these parts would have likely kept it hidden .. or I'll have to start looking in areas an hour or two away which is a little harder to plan and execute .. but I've been enjoying this water hunting and am guessing it is my best bet.